Liars?

I watch a three year old girl who I have been watching for about a year now. Well not until recently she has become manipulative, vindictive, and one heck of a liar. She has figured out how to manipulate the people around her by getting them to do things they should not be doing to get them in trouble. (the other children). Additionally, she seems to enjoy seeing them in trouble and prides herself in being "the good one".
The other day when her mother dropped her off, her mother asked if she had taken a bath with me and my son the day before because her daughter had told her that we did(of course we did not). I was absoluetly shocked that she would even believe that, and then I just got a call from her mother asking if my son had bitten her daughter, which again did not happen.
This is getting out of control and I plan on talking to her mother in the morning but I was wondering if this behavior is normal for this age?

saysha100687

Asked by saysha100687 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I occasionally watched my neighbors daughter from the time she was 3-5. She developed a compulsion for "lying". She would tell stories just to see if people would believe her. I do believe lying is common, but not to the extent you speak of.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree-I think lying or story telling is common in children, but it seems to be more than that. She sounds like she needs a lot of attention.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 8:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I believe it is normal natural behavior, BUT this is the age to teach them the difference between fictional story-telling and a lie. I have been going through this with my daughter, not to that extent, but I have been very consistent in my definitions of the two. And at this age it is important to point it out each time they cross the line so that they do have a concrete grasp on the concepts you are trying to teach them. Morals are not ingrained in children they are taught.
    katg73

Answer by katg73 at 11:05 AM on May. 1, 2009