Is it okay for baby's to walk before they crawl?

I have a seven month old and he can scoot around and crawl like two steps but he already walks holding on the the coffee table and trys to stand by himself. He is a little dare devil.

proudmommie1008

Asked by proudmommie1008 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes some kids never crawl and skip it all together
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sure it is. I did it according to my mother.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes, sometimes they figure out they can get there faster by "cruising", but he might eventually crawl later when the coffee table isn't where he needs it to be, KWIM? Have a great day!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yes, my daughterdid not even touch the floor crawling..
    she did have a walker though and she was not in there not long either..
    NEWME08

Answer by NEWME08 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes...I had been told that crawling was a milestone, but it turns out it isn't...so no worries =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Crawling is not a milestone, and many babies never crawl. Dr. T. Berry Brazelton has a great book on child development that you should be able to get from the library or from the maternal educator at your hospital. www.touchpoints.org.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I have 4 kids and they never really crawled at all. They went from sitting to standing, to walking.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 6:57 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My now 4 year old scotted and rolled, but never crawled and then at 12 months he was walking all over the place. He used the furniture and scooting to get where he needed to go before he could walk. As long as they are mobile don't worry about it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:10 AM on May. 1, 2009

• yes it is ok mine walked then crawled they locamote anyway they can
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:32 AM on May. 1, 2009

• According to my brother in law who is in chiropractic school, babies that walk before they crawl or don't even crawl at all, have some hand-eye coordination problems later. However I asked the pediatrician and he said no its fine. My brother in law explained to me that pediatricians don't have experience with neurology (the brain) so they don't know that is causes problems. My dad never crawled and when he started kindergarten they MADE him crawl but he doesn't seem to have any hand-eye coordination problems!!! I am just as confused as you, my daughter wants to walk too and doesn't crawl yet...
    AubbiesMommie

Answer by AubbiesMommie at 11:22 AM on May. 1, 2009