6 year old gets in trouble at school for doing things that he thinks are "funny"....

but they aren't! Today he took a drink from the water fountain and spit it into a girls face! A couple of weeks ago he squirted his juice box on another little boy's head.....he isn't trying to be mean, he tells us he does these things because he thinks it's funny and likes to make people laugh. Any ideas how to convince him that this stuff ISN'T funny?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him it's okay to TELL jokes, but doing things he think are jokes - when they involve doing something to other people - are NOT funny. Help him out, and take him to the bookstore to get a couple of jokebooks or something. Maybe a book on how to juggle (think Klutz.) Then he can make people laugh in ways that don't hurt them.
    Anonymous

• Well, has he had something poured on his head? I know that sounds mean....but...if maybe he could feel how they do then he would get the point it's not funny....it's embarrassing.  At that age sometimes real life experience gets through to them. I remember my boys being that age also...and it can be like talking to a brick wall....but they truly are sweet at that age.

Anonymous

• yeah that's the thing...he's a good kid. He just likes attention and I really believe that he loves to make people laugh and he goes overboard with it sometimes. He was "grounded" today for doing that, hopefully he'll get the message. Hopefully we can get through the next few weeks with no big issues and he'll mature a little over the summer before next year! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well, I will tell you.....boys are a roller coaster ride for sure! I have two teen boys myself. My oldest when he was in 7th grade his science teacher called and the first thing she said was, "Um, I have never had to call a parent because of this." I thought...oh, crap. And she said, "Andrew keeps farting in class every day ON PURPOSE and I have asked him to stop but he still does it." LOL Oh, my Lord was I totally embarressed! We had a talk with him and apparently he and his friend was doing it and ONLY the boys thought it was funny......none of the girls ever laughed about it. lol Anyway, if this is the worse thing you have to face.......you're doing GREAT!! Hang in there!!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009