• In the Spotlight:

Advice needed

I've mentioned this to my son's pediatrition, as well as to an emergency doctor we visited during his last illness, and it hasn't seemed strange to either of them, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

I'm a fairly clean person, I was my hands several times a day, and always before fixing meals. My son washes his a little less, but generally I wash his hands when I think he's been doing something that requires it.

Since last fall, he's been sick, runny nose, and cough, at least a dozen times. It usually lasts a week or so, but the cough has lingered through most of it, though a few times I noticed he wasn't coughing as much.

Should I ask for testing to be done? What tests? What would you do if it was your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• hmmm could be allergies, chemicals in the house...thats all I can think of at the top of my head...sorry! GL
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If it was my child, I wouldn't do anything. My daughter has been having a cough off and on throughout the past 4 months, and I know that its because she just started in daycare and is being exposed to new bugs, and it will take 6-8 months to build her immune system.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• um kids get cold it happens no tests or meds needed just tissues
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Cold symptoms that last an entire season are most likely allergies, ask your doctor.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If the symptoms last the entire cold season then I would think maybe allergies, but if not then I would just chalk it up to being a kid. You might not be getting the colds because your immune system has fought them before (you have a few more years on your child here remember) and is better equipped to fight them off again. Just think about it this way, his body is learning how to fight these bugs and will know better how to fight that particular bug the next time so he won't show as many symptoms.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:25 AM on May. 1, 2009

• this sounds like an allergy, either food or environmental or seasonal (I would bet dairy). I would try switching to non-toxic or home made cleaners and detergents. Try eliminating dairy and wheat for a few weeks. Please contact me directly if you have questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 AM on May. 1, 2009

• This is pollen season. Allergies are a large cause of runny noses (esp. if its clear. Green runny noses are a problem). When the body is lying down, the sinus drains into the chest. It then sits there and builds. Either in the nite, or upon waking the body needs to rid itself of the drainage, so coughing is a necessity. Otherwise, it could set up infection and cause pneumonia.  So coughing is good.  :) 

You could ask your doctor for a child appropriate antihistimine.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:54 PM on May. 1, 2009

• This sounds like what I went through with my son's bronchitis. Ask them about that being a possibility.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 12:27 PM on May. 3, 2009