Why do we feel the need to justify how we choose to feed our babies?

Maybe I'm the only one who notices this, but it seems everytime a breastfeeding mom asks a question about wanting to stop breastfeeding, they go into a long list of reasons why they want to stop. It's almost as if they're asking "permission" from us cafemoms! What's up with that? Why not just stop breastfeeding? Why go into a long and drawn-out "explaination"?

The same with formula mommies. When they ask a question pertaining to using formula, a lot of them usually go into a lot of detail about why they use formula and why they didn't breastfeed. Why? Since when does it matter what other people think about how we choose to feed our babies?

Do you find yourself doing these things? Or am I just seeing something that isn't necessarily true?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I actually get a lot of "bad mom" looks for not BF my boys. i chose to formula feed both of them for personal reasons. they are both big, and healthy, and as close to perfect as can be ...but i get comments..."well if you would have BF they wouldnt have that ear infection!" it really pisses me off! i agree, noone should have to justify their feeding decisions!!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 9:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• why do we feel the need to ask these kinds of questions? this site is for advice and im sure that they just want advice. just skip over the question if you dont like it.
    Anonymous

• Good point Rhiannon...it's as if breast fed babies don't EVER get sick lol...

It's funny...everything that happens to a f-f kid is blamed on the formula. If he's overweight, it's from the formula..if he's underweight, it's from the formula...ear infections, the common cold, etc...but if a b-f kid gets sick, no one ever blames it on the breast milk! Maybe they caught the illness from the f-f kid!! LOL
    Anonymous

• I agree. I get made to feel like I am a horrible, child abusing mother becasue I don't do things that are recommended by someone that doesn't know my child. That anytime my son is sick, it is becasue I didn't bf or I fed him early (cereal at 2 weeks, all tablefood and milk at 8 months). Just because someone does something different than you doesn't mean they are wrong or bad moms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009