At what age can you test for excercise asthma?

I beleive it's called excercise asthma only because that's what my brother called it when he was diagnosed. He (my brother) was told it was because of the physical exersion he was putting his body through. My son is 12 months and when ever he does alot of running around or playing, he seems to have a hard time catching his breath. I have to physically make him sit down for a few minutes and relax, then he's fine. Asthma or just all of the playing he's doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doctor wouldn't diagnose my kids until they were 2. That was about 9 years ago.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's really hard to make an diagnosis of asthma until the child is old enough to do pulmonary testing. Children who are sick a lot ( recurrent respiratory issues) are sometimes diagnosed earlier. A pulmonologist may make an early diagnosis based on your son's symptoms. He'd likely have your son run around the office for a few minutes and then listen for wheezing, shortness of breath. That's how the doctors tested younger kids in the offices where I have worked.
    KenzieRoosMom

Answer by KenzieRoosMom at 9:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Thanks,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 1, 2009