can u overfeed with breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no! the baby knows when they are full and if you think you are producing too much, it will eventually even out as long as you nurse on demand!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes> I just went through this because I had an over supply and my let down was out of control. It corrected in a week or so
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yes you can. i didnt think you would, then her pediatrician said she could be overeating... she tends to projectile throw up sometimes.. anyway the dr said she could be overeating and i said well shes only breastfed she said it doesnt matter they still can over eat.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've seen some babies that pacify with the breast be very large for their age because of the extra calories they were getting. So I would say yes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• No, they really can't over eat. Pediatricians know nothing about breastfeeding, unfortunately. Babies can suck and suck and not get anything but drops, just pacifying themselves.

However. There is a sort of overfeeding issue. It is with oversupply (as stated above), and your baby can overeat the foremilk without getting to the hind milk. I think that can be associated with colic, as well. The recommendations I have heard are to try doing an entire feed from one breast. I have heard, but have never encountered, that some moms have to do two feedings in a row from the same breast, but that's got to be REALLY rare.

So, post your reasons for asking.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• No.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:58 AM on May. 1, 2009

• No. Unless you are using bottles. And then it's not really over feeding at first. It's that they get it extremely fast. So they take in lots of air and it causes vomiting and bad gas. And they they get accustomed to having their stomachs over full very quickly. So they get used to it. But eating too much from the breast? Never.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:15 PM on May. 1, 2009