Is it possible for a man to love two women at the same time?

Can he love his girlfriend AND me? Please don't judge, I'm giving myself a hard enough time. I'm an adult, I know what love feels like, looks like and how it acts. Is it possible?

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• I think so, but its up to him to set aside the love and decide which woman would best suit his happiness

Answer by bvona at 8:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It's possible but in very different ways. He might love you for your sex and her for her personality...he's getting the best of both worlds that way. I don't think it's possible to love more than one person in the same exact way at the same exact time.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• In my opinon NO. But my mother is going through the samething right now with her married boyfriend

Answer by sjdchbkr at 8:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yes and No. Yes, it's possible to love 2 people at the same time, and even feel you are in love with both of them. But to truly love more than 1 person wholly is extremely rare. You tend to love each for their differences that you prefer in each of them. Even in "open" relationships and couples practicing polyamory, they have a main partner and secondary partners that they love to a lesser degree. The question he should be asking himself is which one of you he loves more, it's not fair and is rarely accepted to play second fiddle to another woman. He needs to make that choice and stick to it unless you both agree on a relationship involving others. If I were in your shoes- and I have been- I would request that he either allows you to have someone else too, or that he makes a choice, no matter how hard it is.

Answer by Pogovina at 9:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It is possible to love more than one person at a single time. Perhaps this man loves both of you very differently and I am not condoning this type of behavior but considering the societal norm, he really needs to reprioritize and show some respect to both of you by directing all of his "love" to one woman and one woman only. It seems to me that in the end, you have more power than he does in that for this relationship to continue, you have to power to maintain it or end it.

• yes

Answer by Patience1 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• IN a healthy relationship NO.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well right now I love 2 men at the same time. So yeah.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• to the anonymous answerer who said "in a healthy relationship NO", i'd ask you to reevaluate your way of thinking to consider the fact that many people have HEALTHY, LOVING relationships with more than one person simultaneously.

to answer this question, i think that it's possible but it requires a lot of work on all sides. at the risk of sounding judgmental (it's not my intention), does his girlfriend know about the relationship that you have with him? because if she doesn't it sounds like he's using both of you and that's unfair to everyone.

Answer by Reni-Witch-Baby at 8:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008