Just curious . . .

Why are some people in such a big hurry to get their babies on solids or drinking juice or water?

sweetgabesmom

Asked by sweetgabesmom at 9:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL or take away their bottle :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Or crawl, walk, talk etc etc for that matter. idk really. I really chilled out with my second child, let him tell me when he was ready!
    prettyrayray

• bc its much easier, and a lot cheaper.. a bottle of juicy juice is cheaper than a can of formula.. and same for water.
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 9:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i do not know. I wanted my son on the purees earlier then normal because he was preemee and a little behind on weight...once he caught up I slowed down on the extras. I completely cut juice out all it does it gives them diarrhea! And he is just starting to like water at 15months old which is when they need it.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Most likely from other people telling them that's the way to do it. When it's your first baby you rely on other people's opinions so much more since you have on idea what you're doing.
    Anonymous

• Because they are young moms and don't know what to expect and can't wait for anything to happen with Their child. I can understand that but you young moms cherish the moments it is not all about who learned first of anything all children are developing in their own pace so be patient and relax and enjoy and cherish....
    Anonymous

• it is about the young moms, n its also about the children, n the weather, n teething. im a new young mommy. my two month n three week year old started drinking very watered down apple juice because of my fear she would dehydrate. twas a very very hot day n she wasnt drinking much formula. shes teething really bad now too, which means im doing everything i can to keep her happy. i let her chew on her plastic spoon n my finger n just last night she started eating rice cereal off the spoon n she LOVES it. tho i will keep it limited to three small spoon fulls. its runny so its easy to eat.

young single moms especially need to do whats easier n cheaper.

her ped also told me to push her into wanting to roll over. she wants to sit up instead of rolling over.

you know some moms want whats best for their baby. n if that means feeding baby differently, or teaching baby new stuff, then so be it.
    Anonymous

• young single moms especially need to do whats easier n cheaper.

WRONG!! EVERY mom needs to what's BEST for the CHILD!! Rushing solids and other liquids has been proven to have no benefit but many health risks and negatives for the child. If you want "cheap and easy", think about adoption.
    OP I think people rush it because of the typical modern American society opinion. Too often we associate "fast" with "advanced". Some parents think their "advanced" baby needs to be on solids faster than other babies and will brag about how much they eat. It's a misconception that needs to be fixed. Every helth organization says no solids til at least 6 months, but that that waiting longer for baby's digestive system to mature is best. Solids before the first year are just for play, texture, and experimentation. NOT NUTRITION. That comes from the milk. So does their hydration. Your baby could be in the desert and need NOTHING but breastmilk
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:01 AM on May. 1, 2009

• While we are on the topic, why do people give babies juice and junkfood and soda? Why aren't we, as a society, more concerned with giving our kids healthy habits? If I see one more toddler with a bottle full of Coke I will scream!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I tend to agree with jus1jess. It seems to me that many parents are more interested in baby being a convenience than changing their lives to meet babies needs. I understand the money argument i guess, but you know breastmilk is free. Also I'm a first time mother too, but I listen to my own instincts more than what other people tell me. I know it's hard being a new mom, but I just don't think pushing solids on a young infant is the right thing to do. Why are you in such a hurry to make baby grow up?
    sweetgabesmom

Answer by sweetgabesmom at 8:29 AM on May. 1, 2009