BF'ing...

I'm a nursing mother, and I've hit a dry spell. My 3wk old son nursed heavily about 3 days ago and kept spitting it all up, ending up hungry all over again. He ate more and more, and I've gone dry. DH went to walmart and bought a can of Enfamil Lipil to supplement him until my milk comes back in...

Question is: What is it that I can eat or avoid to produce a little more quickly? I do not want to have to rely on it often, or have to resort to it at all, if I don't have to.

matobe

Asked by matobe at 9:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink pleanty of water! I know there is natural vitimans you can take I do not know the name I know not helpful but talk to a lactation consultant they do wonders or talk to your or your babys doctor they can help too. Keep trying to nurse do not stop even if nothing comes out...express if you have to or pump.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There's nothing coming out at all?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• YOUR MILK WILL NOT COME BACK IN IF YOU GIVE FORMULA. It's supply and demand, and babies have a growth spurt at 3 weeks. Stop giving formula as soon as possible and your milk supply will regulate itself. If you're giving formula, your body thinks your baby isn't eating. Your body doesn't know to make more milk.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Keep nursing that will help. Then drink lots of water and eat oatmeal. I know it sounds weird, but it really does work.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I guess I don't understand how you could have gone dry when he has been eating well.... it doesn't usually work like that.
    Do you think you are dry because he is acting hungry? Because he's probably having a growth spurt and needs to keeping eating to increase your supply. he might want to eat as often as every 30-60 mins!
    You can use a supplement More Milk Plus that works really well. I've used it after AF came back and my supply dips.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i disagree with Apexmommy. i also dried up at this point in BFing. i pumped to get things going faster but my supply kept getting smaller. it is true that your baby's spit stimulates your milk production. at 2 months i picked BFing back up after bottle feeding. keep getting him to drink from your breast. let him stay on as long as he wants. if you dont think its still not enough call a lactation consultant. the ones at your hossy will still help. i do know there are pills you can take. adoptive parents take them to get their milk to start, some mommies how do have a problem with producing take them also. but try a lactation consultant first.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I am continuing to pump, but since there isn't enough coming out to satisfy him, I have offered formula... oatmeal, if that will help build it back up, I will try it!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• try pumping even if nothing is coming out. and drink alot of water. i cant get my son to latch on so im renting a hospital grade pump. once we move (this weekend) im going to find a consultant to help because i Really want to breastfeed for a year
    Anonymous

• anon 9:58... wish you wouldn't have posted anon... i found a VERY USEFUL tool at walmart that got my son to latch on, it's made by Lansinoh, it's called "LatchAssist." It's a little bulb with a small cup attached to the end... you put the cup over your nipple and squeeze the bulb, the tool draws your nipple out. It took me a couple tries but it worked! And now, a week or so in, I don't have to use it anymore!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• There is a supplement you can take called Lactoflow...it;s only found online and it has doubled my supply...Ive done all the other things, yes ALL...and this one works the best...good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:25 AM on May. 1, 2009