• In the Spotlight:

anyone know how to make the starter for Amish frienship bread?

I know what to do after you get it, but I'm craving some and no one has any made.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 9:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• INGREDIENTS
    * 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    * 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    * 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
    * 3 cups white sugar, divided
    * 3 cups milk
    DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

2. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.

3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bre
    MorbidFraggle

Answer by MorbidFraggle at 9:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• ad recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).
    MorbidFraggle

Answer by MorbidFraggle at 9:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I found this for you -- http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-Starter/Detail.aspx

I also found this very official Amish website (oh, the irony there) but you have to email them for the starter. However, after you get a starter (theirs, the one above, whatever), they have all sorts of care and feeding tips (I won't tell if you use someone else's starter...shhh). http://www.amishstarter.com/getstarter.html

I can't believe you didn't ask this in the group and let Jenn give you hers. :O) You know she knows one.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009