Moms who practice "bottle nursing": are you as reluctant as I am about weaning your baby from the bottle?

My daughter's bottles are never propped, and she doesn't hold her own bottles. She sits in my lap for every feeding. She is "bottle nursed". It's been an amazing bonding experience that I'm reluctant to give up on, now that she's 10 mos old and nearing the one year mark (when we are advised to wean them from the bottle).

I'm really reluctant to wean her by age one. Most of the problems associated with bottles are due to babies going to bed with them, which allows the milk to saturate the teeth and cause rot. Or it's because the baby walks around with the bottle, taking nips from it all day, filling them up with milk/juice.

Any advice or words of encouragement? It makes me sad to think about NOT bottle nursing anymore!! :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• check wal~mart out, there are these sippy cups out with handles and a No-Spill guard on them so she could still sit on your lap while you feed her AND she can also 'help'. this way you still get to bond with her the same way, and shes learning to be 'independant'. you may end up enjoying feeding her in her high chair, and then when she can feed herself and you sit with her at the table and eat together talking. its wonderful you still want to feed her.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'm sure you'll enjoy your child talking to you to replace the "bottle nursing".

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Do you think she'd enjoy a sippy cup on your lap as much? I really can feel your pain! I nurse, but what you're doing is awesome! I've never heard the term bottle nursing, but it's a good one.

Quite honestly, if they're not going to bed with it, I don't think it's "awful." My pediatrician says to START weaning from the bottle at one and the paci at 2.5ish, I think. However you wean her, do it slowly.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Hmmmm... I'm not sure if it's the same as breastfeeding where you could let her self wean from the bottle. I think that it might be an option as long as she only gets the bottle from you and doesn't carry it around and stuff. I'm not sure the impact on her teeth with a bottle even when fed correctly.... maybe ask her doctor if there are any concerns with that and go from there.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Have her sit for cuddling and song time instead. I'm all for child led weaning. But bottles are very different from breasts. Though most problems came from what you said (and I'm assuming you don't do those), it's still not good to extended bottlefeed. However, since you're not breaking the main rules and weaning is a tough thing to do, feel free to do it gently. Bottle or no bottle, always make some peaceful mommy-baby time to bond.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:42 AM on May. 1, 2009