Spoon feeding

How do you teach your baby to feed themselves with a spoon. I don't think my son is old enough yet (9 months)... but I don't even know when or how to start.
Right now if I give him a spoon he just bangs it on his chair. Will he just start showing an intrest and want to do it on his own??

AmiJanell

Asked by AmiJanell at 9:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep giving it to him and show him how to do it. If he gets frustrated tell him its ok and just back off and let him do his thing. Do not acknowledge the spoon drumming lol that only makes it continue more. He should get it in a few months. My son is 15 months and just getting the hang of it.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• he will get the hang of it if you let him watch you guys eat and he will want to learn just keep letting him try and he'll get it
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Play with the spoons with him, pretend feed his bears and have him do it too, later when your sure he wont beat you with the spoon, let him pretend feed you. then start using cherrios (not as messy as other foods lol) he will get the hang of it. just give him time.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When you feed him, let him have his own spoon; you will see when he is ready.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I dont have kids but im expecting my first but i have helped my mom raise 3 kids. From what i have seen, they tend to follow what they see from us. They learn pretty much everything from us so if you were to just sit the spoon by him and ate by him showing him how to use it, he mite get interested enough to try it on his own.
    CJK_2009

Answer by CJK_2009 at 11:04 AM on May. 1, 2009