Trying to take pacifier away from son but...

He will either grind his teeth or chew on his fingers when I take it away. IMO that would do more damage than him keeping his pacifier...any advice etc? He is 21 months old.

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd takes a pacifier only a nap and bed time. I asked the dentist if I should worry about weaning her from the pacifier and she said not to worry about it until closer to three years ( My DD is 14 months). She said that taking the paci away too soon can lead to thumb/finger sucking, which is way worse for teeth. I think the paci is the better option :)

Hope this helps!
    KenzieRoosMom

Answer by KenzieRoosMom at 9:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I have tried everything. PPL hav gave me great ideas but, nothing works. And I dont wanna have my daughter upset about it. Shes over 3 and has one. But, thumb sucking is worse and grinding his teeth isnt any better.
    Anonymous

• OH don't worry about it. They use it for comfort and eventually he won't want to use it. Really start to limit it and then maybe try cutting it. My little one just got rid of hers.....and she is 3. She doesn't have buck teeth and she just went to the dentist who said that she has beautiful teeth!!! Don't worry.
    Anonymous

• I would say to limit it to naps and bed. Or for extreme melt downs :) But limiting it will at least reduce the amount if time the paci is in their mouth, therefore maybe less tooth damage?? I agree that grinding teeth or sucking on fingers is even worse than a paci b/c you can't stop them from doing that by taking it away!!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:49 AM on May. 1, 2009

• during the day, keep him busy so he wont think about the paci - so you can narrow it down to nap/night times.
    my son actually forgot ( also i did ) about it and went to bed without one. Its almost been a week without a paci and he is not sucking his thumb neither.
    sometimes he asked about it and all i tell him i dont know where it is and he keeps playing.
    one question is he teething right now?? they bite alot or sucking while they teething .. and than of course when you take the paci away they try to find the comfort somewhere else.
    StellaBella2007

Answer by StellaBella2007 at 10:44 AM on May. 2, 2009