My second child is pottytraining himself, my first child won't have anything to do with it. HELP! How do I get my oldest out of diapers?

3b0ys1m0m

Asked by 3b0ys1m0m at 9:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old are they both and are they boys or girls? Boys tend to train later than girls, and either way, its normal for kids to not potty train until they are 3.
    Anonymous

• my son potty trained at age 3. My neighbors twins, boy and girl, she was done training at age 2, he didn't until age 3.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Additional info for question: All three of my kids are boys. The oldest is 3 years old and the middle child is 22 months old.
    3b0ys1m0m

Answer by 3b0ys1m0m at 11:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I too have 3 boys (ages 6, 5, and 2). I'm currently potty training my 2 yr old. Heres my theory from experience with my 6 and 5 year old. We had severe and I mean SEVERE gastro problems with my oldest which were partly caused from trying to potty train (he began holding it). He ended up on meds for 4 yrs (just got off), and I was not allowed to potty train him. He was 4 years old when he finally decided to do it himself. Yea, it sucked, but if it meant that my child wasn't going to have to go back in the hospital to have tubes shoved down his nose, then I was ok with it and it was worth it. Shortly after he trained himself, my middle one did too. I've learned boys are more stubborn. Keep encouraging (not pushing) and I think once your middle one is trained your oldest will probably jump with it shortly after. Its ok that he's 3 in pullups/diapers still...it happens. Dont worry, it will work itself out in time! :)
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 12:44 AM on May. 1, 2009