Is it ok to feed baby off one breast not both?

My left produces and right barely does. Recently I stopped feeding him on the right is that ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it should be fine....when i breastfed my dd my left breast would bleed so i just used the right
    Anonymous

• YOU CAN DO THAT BUT YOUR BOOBS MIGHT BE DIFFERENT SIZES LATER ON I KNOW IT HAPPENED TO ME
    mrslibby

Answer by mrslibby at 10:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i stopped because my right side was bigger then my left,i hated it but he wouldnt latch on to my left side at all so i just stopped because of the size thing..and because he didnt wanna be breastfed he wanted ALOT of milk lol
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You might be lopsided.... but it should be okay. Mine don't make the same amount either... my left is about twice as much as my right... I still feed on both though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If you don't mind being loppy lucy ;) A lactation consultant once told me sometimes they prefer one side because of the way we hold them on that one side. At this point your breasts will never be the same anyways so why not making bfing easier and just do one side ;) maybe one day you little on will wake up and realize just how fabulous your other breast is as well but until then just enjoy being able to nurse
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:15 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Well it is okay, but as the others said you will be lopsided while nursing and even somewhat when you stop. If the right isn't producing then try pumping that side while nursing on the other to increase production and put the babe to that side as often as possible to increase supply on that side. Just being able to nurse is good though even if it is only on one side. My left did produce slightly more then my right, but I just kept putting both my kids to either side and when they got done on one side and were still hungry they got the other side. After about 9 months things leveled out with the two sides and I am still happily nursing my 22 month old on either side.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:42 AM on May. 1, 2009