Parental Nudity

How long should my son see me naked. He is 29 months and he points to my area and my breats and says pee pee. He has noticed them since he was like 20 months and points, but I think it is just because he doesn't see them often.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• i personally think he's too old now, since he's pointing & naming it
    Anonymous

• My daughter sometimes helps me get dressed (zips up the back of a dress or whatever) and I'm not really too careful about nakedness around her. I don't want her to think I'm ashamed of my body. On the other hand, there is something to be said for teaching privacy. I'm having to be a lot more careful now, because my son still thinks it's ok to come in the bathroom when I'm bathing just to ask me silly questions (Mom, can I have a treat? Is it my turn on the computer?)
    Anonymous

• If you think 29 mos is too old then you wil definitely think my husband and I are whacko! We have always been comfortable with nakedness. Now , we don't walk around the house butt naked all the time, but when we bathe or shower we never worried about our son seeing us. And our son never made a big deal out of it either. Hell, I was still taking a bath with him at age 4 and 5! We have a whirlpool tub you could swim in and we would take giant bubble baths. It's not "dirty" unless you think that way.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with :21. My son's 21 months and he doesn't get in the shower with me, but he plays peek-a-boo with the curtain while I'm in there. He hasn't noticed anything about my stuff. My other kids are older now, but I thought they were a bit older when they started being curious and noticing a difference. Like 3 or 4, i'm not sure, but that's when they stopped seeing me naked.
    Anonymous

• my dd is 2 & i don't let her see me naked & she has NEVER seen my dh naked even when she was a baby, he just felt weird about it
    Anonymous

• You mean your 2 and 1/2 year old?? Seriously, 29 months??

To answer your question, if YOU feel uncomfortable, then it's time to cover up.
    Anonymous

• I think it is time to hide the goods there sweetie!!! If he notices them he may say that in public and folks will get the wrong idea.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 10:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When it's the same sex it's not a big deal...my mom never paraded around the house in the buff, but if I saw her without a bra or panties or something it didn't weird me out...she's got the same equipment that I do!! lol
    Anonymous

• My boys are 3 and 5 and see me naked all the time. Hubby and I both sleep naked, and if they wake in the middle of the night screaming, or puking, I don't stop to put clothes on. They also like to walk in on me when I'm going to the bathroom, or taking a shower (they don't shower with me though). I don't rush to cover up, but I do usually shoo them out of the room. My 5 year old has started saying "Eww" whenever he sees me naked, and I always just tell him he doesn't have to be there staring at me if he thinks it's gross.

I want to teach my boys that their bodies are nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing they need to hide. They know they need to stay covered in public, but home is a place where you can relax and be yourself. They also know all the names of their body parts, and mine (proper terms, not cutesie little nicknames). I would advise for you do to whatever you are comfortable with, in your home, and for your family.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My mom and my gramma used to yell across the house at each other in their bras and undies, I used to think it was funny. I was like six years old.

If you aren't comfortable with it, then it needs to stop. It's up to you!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009