Who owns the right to this baby? Read below

Doctors mistake. IVF done for 2 women who find out later that they are carrying each others child. Who does the child belong to at birth? Do you think they should swap babies or keep the one they birthed? What would you do?

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 10:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That's a tough one. I think you sort of form an attachment to the child during pregnancy. If they did swap, they should try to be friends so they could still have a part in the life of the child they carried. There's other problems too, like what if one had really good healthy pregnancy while the other did drugs and drank throughout? I don't know.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would swap. It wouldn't be any different than having a surrogate mother carry your child, it's just that you get to return the favor.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• keep the one they birthed and sue the doctor asap!!!
    kamara23

Answer by kamara23 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• That's complicated because they created bond with the baby they carried!!! But should swap SOLELY because they don't know eachother's family history and I am sure they don't want to expose it to a stranger!!! What a f up!!! I hope they go after the people that did this! I know stuff happens but come on!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yeah I agree ^ ^ ^ ^ not to mention any possible genetic health problems.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 10:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• uhh id swap i want a baby that looks like ME and has my genes.
    Anonymous

• I think a DNA test should be done and the parents should get the baby that is genetically theirs. I'm sure it would be a tough thing, but better to do it asap than to wait and get even more attached to the other baby.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i think that they should keep the babies that they carried but stay really close to the other family. expecially if a heart condition or some other problem runs in the family. it just seems like it would be hard to give up the baby you have felt moving around in your belly for the past couple of months.
    mommyofbrayd473

Answer by mommyofbrayd473 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• No way I would want my baby with my genes, to teach him about his family Doctor F%%cked up

I would want my baby
    Anonymous

• Swap the babies!
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 11:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2009