Is it bad to spoil your kids?

Ms.DiamondDiva

Asked by Ms.DiamondDiva at 10:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on how you perceive spoiling...buying them everything they could possibly want for, yes that is bad. Buying them a toy when they are well behaved for a week, and new clothes, that is not bad... I love to buy toys and clothes and I do it whenever my daughter is behaving. I will not run out and get every single toy that she could ever want, because I believe that children need to learn that they can not have everything!! I think I spoil my DD with love!!!!
    Anonymous

• I dont think its bad to a point, if they are so spoiled that as soon as they let out a little cry or scream because they want something and you give it to them just to shut them up than you have issues
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i agree i don't think its bad if they are well behaved. my daughter gets a new toy probably once or twice a month. however she doesn't think its her right to get it. she may ask for something at the store but if i tell her no she doesn't have a melt down over it. if you get them everything they ask for b/c they have meltdowns than they are just going to grow up thinking all the good things in life should be handed to them
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• You can't spoil a baby until a certain age....if theyre older and throw a fit if they don't get thier way then yes....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i guess it depends on what you conisder spoiling. A lack of discipline is very bad. But holding them and giving them your undivided attention a little each day and fun toys here and there is just fine. To a degree I think "spoiling" is in the eye of the beholder.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:05 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Spoiling is bad. But our modern society is too quick and incorrect to use that term. FYI you can't spoil a baby. You can never give too much love, attention, time, kisses, hugs, patience, or understanding. Spoiling is allowing bad behavior for bad reasons, not typical child behavior for typical child reasons. A baby crying to be held isn't spoiled.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughter is not spoiled, she always smelled that way!
    Seriously, you cannot spoil an infant (I am guessing that some idiot told you that you hold your baby too much and will spoil her/him). Babies need to feel secure and loved (so do mommies). Hold and snuggle your baby, and remember how wonderful that feels because you will have a teen one day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Babies can't be spoiled. Period. There is nothing wrong with a baby wanting to be held by their mother. The first 9 months of their existence it was cradled in it's mothers womb. Now just because it's born........ ohhhhh don't hold the baby too much you'll spoil it. Nonsense. If you have things to do strap it to the front of you and keep going.

As for when they're older. I guess it depends on your perspective. Some say my kids are spoiled. I call them happy.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:27 AM on May. 1, 2009

• IMO yes it is... I think its ok to award them for doing something special, but not for every little thing you think is great. Oh and yes you can spoil a baby by holding it to much. My son will be perfectly content, but as soon as I walk by him and he sees me he will start crying until I pick him up. He will do this all the time and like an idiot I pick him up which only makes it worse. He's a smart little stinker and knows how to work mommy.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:02 AM on May. 1, 2009

• This is what my grandma always told me: if you give your child something out of love and the want to make her happy that is not spoiling, if you give your child something out of guilt or to make up for something or b/c they are throwing a fit, THAT is spoiling! I have followed that idea while parenting my three.
    kparker75844

Answer by kparker75844 at 7:32 AM on May. 1, 2009