Do you take toys out of your kids room without their knowledge

if they don't play with them anymore (i.e. cleanup!)? My SS has so much stuff - mainly small bins of little toys that take up lots of space - and he keeps getting more! I feel bad getting rid of stuff he doesn't want to get rid of, but keeping every little thing seems to not be a great idea either - especially if he doesn't play with it often. ..Asking him to help me doesn't work too well. He gets rid of like two little toys. ...What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I include my little man. I tell him to pick the toys out so that we can give them to a child who has no toys. I think this helps in the giving department. He shares well because of it. He is 4 now. At first it was hard but he does well now.
    MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 10:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I agree with MRSnMOTHER. We have our son help us decide what to keep. We give him a limited number of things he can keep then he chooses what to keep and what goes to kids without toys. There have been times when cleaning his room that I just sneak toys into the trash, you know, they were broken or pieces were missing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i don't know...my SKs do alright at cleaning their toys out. but sometimes its easier not to mention anything becasue my SS particularly who is 5 doesn't always remember all of his toys. i guess it just depends. let him know that he can't get anymore toys until he gets rid of some of the ones he has.....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I find giving them a specific number helps. We only have room for # things, or we need to get rid of # things. So there is more finality, a goal. We also allways swap out new toys for old ones, if he wants the new toy bad enough he has to agree to get rid of an old toy to make room for the new one. My son tried to tell me once that I got rid of his dancing spiderman toy, but I reminded him that he agreed to trade him out for Buzz Light year. It was his choice, not mine. I'm not the bad guy!
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• i throw all kinds of shit out like every three months! my 4 yo has so much crap that he doesn't even notice anything is missing (and i take out 1-2 big black trash bags of stuff!).i have accidentally thrown out stuff that i thought was broken or something and when he asks me where it is, i tell him "i don't know. where did you put it?" (i know, i'm terrible!) and since he never puts his stuff away, he just assumes he lost it. my 9 yo knows i throw out stuff that is not put away so if he's missing something he'll just ask me straight out if i tossed it and if i did, i tell him so he doesn't go waste his time looking for it.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 2:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I throw stuff away when my son is at school. He is not the least bit helpful with even putting things away, and gets really mad at the thought of giving anything away. So, I start a box of things he hasn't played with in awhile and put it in the garage. If he doesn't ask about any of the stuff I discarded, then I take it to charity. You're right about the number of things coming into the house. Between kids meals and prize boxes at school and church, there is an endless supply of little toys. He couldn't possibly play with or care about all of them.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:24 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My son has a play room where the toys go. I don't allow toys in the bedroom and ds knows this. HIs room is for getting dressed and sleeping.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:07 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I go threw when they are not home, cause its just easier and I get mroe done. I get rid of what they are dont play with or I feel needs to be gotten rid of.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We don't, but I have a friend who does with her kids. She takes toys that she believe are not played with out of their rooms while they are at school. If they are not missed after one month, they get donated (either to a charity thrift shop or another family).

Answer by rkoloms at 1:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• rkoloms that is the best idea. I hate to think of toys in the garbage (unless theya re broken) b/c I KNOW they are other kids who could use them. and b/c we may not always be the best judge of which toy they'll remember so... the hide them for a month (or what ever length) then give away sound great.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:53 PM on May. 1, 2009