Had a beautiful baby boy April 29th!

Just had my baby wendsday morning still in the hospital.
Everytime my baby crys I go into a panic attack, the harder he crys the harder I cry. I had to have an emergencey csection and I cant take care of him the way I want to and I have to watch my husband do it maybe thats why. Has anyone else felt this way before? I cant control it I go into a full blown panic attack. Do I already need anti deppersents and are they safe with BF. What do I do I havnt even made it home yet
He is a perfect 7lbs baby boy!!

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aw...congratulations. I'm so happy for you! You're going to be a great mom! I can tell because you're already worrying about doing right by him. I had a c-section with my son and it was hard, especially since my daughter was 2 at the time. I felt like I couldn't take care of him right. But, I worked through it. And, since you've decided to breastfeed, you're doing one of the best things you can do for him. If you have time to ask, seek out a lactation consultant before you leave hospital. You'll be glad you did! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do awesome!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• congrats on your little baby!
    woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Just calm down, hun. You will recover, but you'll recover faster if you can calm yourself down. Let your husband take care of the baby until you can, or have them move the baby closer to you (I had an emergency c-section and was able to hold my son most of the time I was in the hospital (except when he needed to be weighed or tested for things)). Don't jump to anti-depressants if you don't have to. It sounds like you're upbeat enough about being a mom..

I remember how hard it was after my son was born a month early to deal with the separation, so I dealt with it by keeping him at my side. His father worked a lot so baby and I slept on the couch together. Remember that right now you need to rest, and you will have plenty of opportunity to bond with your little boy when you're better.

GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's normal to feel like that... life changing, hormones going crazy and a birth not planned they way you had dreamed... and now you're in pain and tired.
    Talk to your doctor about it before you go home and see what they think... they should have you do a PPD screen.
    You'll feel better in a few days! it will get easier. Just let daddy do what he can... don't feel at all guilty about not being able to do everything... he carried that baby in you for abour 40 weeks!! You can take a few days to heal.
    My DH had a crash coarse in being a daddy too.... I ended up with an infection after my C-section and couldn't even feed my own son. But from the start I think he was a better daddy because of it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It's totally normal! Don't worry, just take your mood swings in stride. There's nothing wrong with you that you need pills for, unless it lasts and lasts. I had terrible mood swings after I had my son, and from the sound of things the trauma you went through will only make things worse.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh my gosh, please give yourself a break. You're probably reacting to the anesthesia and medication. Babies cry to the point that it is so rattling, you want to scream. Stay calm, understand that this is being a mom and in time, your ear will get really used to it. Everything is O K A Y. Really. This is a process, having a baby, and keep your expectations of yourself in check, you don't need any extra meds yet. You are okay. Remember it's okay to be scared at this new stuff, all of us are. Take it a day at a time. Boys are WONDERFUL!!!!!! Congrats, you did it! You should be SO proud of yourself. Don't put pressure on yourself, lean on people around you and know that babies rock all our worlds at first. Hang in there new Mama, you've just done the best thing in life you may ever do!!! XOXOX
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• congratulations....I had an emergency section too, and it was hard but I still BFed her right away...Your hormones are just in overdrive right now....you should be getting up and walking with him though...I used to just lean on the bassinet that she was in and my DH and I would do "laps" around the nurses station and it helped me feel better a lot quicker....good luck and don't worry.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• congrats! There is actually something called postpardum panic/anxiety disorder. It is more rare than PPD but taylors more to the panicky side of things rather than the depressive side of things. You may need an antianxiety medication but I think the general concensus here is that you should talk to a doctor adn get it under control now so you can enjoy this precious time with your little one. Dont wait it out like I did
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:53 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Congratulations! My son was born on the 9th! My baby's father isn't involved, so it's just me taking care of my son. Since I'm young (16; don't bash!), I still live with my parents. BUT I do almost all of the work unless it's lifting the car seat (I'm restricted from it due to my C-Section incision opening) or if I'm way too tired or stressed. Anyway, I was doing everything to take care of him when I was in the hospital. I just wasn't allowed to get out of bed the first day and a half so he had to be brought to me. And I was breastfeeding as well. I don't know if it was an 'emergency' C-Section so to speak but it was a last-minute decision so I don't really understand why you can't take care of your son... (Sorry if I didn't really answer your question, I just thought it was odd. Oh well, different hospitals do different things.) I'm sorry you're going through this! Congrats on your son!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:20 AM on May. 1, 2009

• congrats! give yourself time to adjust....its a huge change,and you just had major surgery! everything will be fine, you'll get the hang of it! baby blues are normal, but if they dont go away within 2 weeks or so, then call your dr.
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 8:52 AM on May. 1, 2009