3 1/2 year old still having TONS of accidents

my son is now 3 1/2 and he has technically been potty trained since like september. i understand we also had a baby in September so that was bound to set him back. But the baby is 7 months now and he has been doing ALOT better, but sometimes, ok more than sometimes, at least once a day, he is still having accidents. I am not sure what approach to use with him cuz my husband likes to get tough on him and I have tried both the tough method and the just let him do it when he is ready. I didn't realize potty training was a 1-2 year long process! My friends daughter same age potty trained herself in just days. I am so tired of washing laundry that smells like piss!

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 11:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know it's frustrating, just give it time, it sounds like he's had a setback and it's really, really common, especially w/ boys. Try the potty chart again. Start over. Getting angry, though tempting, will not work.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Are you expecting him to go on his own or to tell you he needs to go? Don't. Given the choice between putting down his toys to go sit in the bathroom or keeping on playing - which do you think a young child will choose? Kids this age often have "I was too busy" or "I forgot" accidents. Help him remember. Make sure he gets a chance to pee at least every 2 hours. Don't ask him if he has to go. Simply tell him it is time to go. Use a timer if you want. Let the timer be the bad guy. But help him remember to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• no i don't wait for him to tell me. we would go thru twice as much laundry if i did that! i usually just tell him everyonce in a while to go, or if i see signs that make me think he has to go. an i am tryin to make him go before we leave the house and before or after we eat but he sometimes refuses.
    today, he was watchin a movie,and peed all over himself, and all over the couch and told me he didn't think he was wet. i made him feel the couch and tell me if it was wet or not. just baffles me that he wouldn't notice!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:21 AM on May. 1, 2009

• well, boys typically potty train later and harder than girls. My dd made up her mind at 2 years and 2 months old that she was done with diapers and has been PERFECT ever since, no accidents at night or anything whereas my ss is now 5 and has regular accidents. He's had alot of set backs with the lifestyle his mother provides for him (it's not easy watching your mothers bf beating her up all the time!) so we're still trying with him. I would suggest you tell your son he HAS to go every hour, no options, turn the tv off, take the toy he has away and put it on the table until he's done, he sits on time out not eating or anything until he goes. If you give him the option he's not gonna want to go, he needs to go when told if he can't go on his own without accidents. Boys tend to hold it longer than girls do too so when I see the 'wiggle dance' it usually means he's already wet himself a little, I don't let him wait that long.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 9:20 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I would worry if he was 6 but 31/2 is still young!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:57 PM on May. 1, 2009