Women Attire

This past sunday my pastor preached on women's appearal. What's appropriate. He stated that pants, short skirts, or anything reveling is the reason women are attacked (raped).
I completely disagree with this though this is not the first time I've heard comments like this directed at women and their clothing.

I would like to hear some of your ladies comments on this subject. I'm pentacostal and always have been. I've just always struggled with the rules of dress for women.

No make up. (You don't want to be like Jezabel)
No skirts above the knees.
No cutting or dying of the hair.
No nail polish.
No jewlery.
No perfume. (especially Victoria Secret)
No pants. (Women aren't suppose to guird their loins)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i have never understood a religion that restricts what you can wear, well maybe to an extent in that they want to keep women as natural as possible. however, i just can't understand why someone would willingly allow another to tell them what they can and can't wear. and no i don't think women are raped b/c they have on pants or wear makeup. i'm sure in biblical times women were taken against their will then and they didn't wear makeup or pants. in my opinion, god gave you free will right? so why would he then put restrictions on what you can wear? that seems trivial compared to other things that should be focused on. i'm not bashing anyones religion or beliefs, just that i don't understand them and have talked to women of faiths that have these type of requirements, so i'm not totally uneducated on it, i just can't understand why you would want to be restricted in that way
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• To lay the blame on women who are attacked by how they are dressed is wrong. Rape is about power, control, humiliation, not sex. So what you are wearing matters very little.
    So far as the restrictions in your faith, I don't follow that faith. It makes little sense to me, but if others are happy with it and it makes them feel closer to God/ more connected to their faith, it is fine. I just don't agree with people being pressured into something they are NOT comfortable or happy with.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• If anybody ought to gird their loins, it's women. I think you should be educated on what to do if you are ever attacked, but you can't prevent rape, even by only wearing skirts. If anything that would make it easier access. Sorry if that's TMI. I feel there's nothing wrong with dressing up. I think it helps you feel good about yourself, and if anything, we should be combatting low self-esteem. I'm LDS (mormon) so I don't wear skirts above the knee or other revealing attire, but there isn't anything wrong with the other things.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would like him to show in Scripture where those are forbidden. We live under grace not law so unless the Bible specifically forbids something then it is left to interpretation.

For him to justify sexual violence against women because of what they wear is not only unbiblical, it is barberic.

I would run not walk away from that church as fast as I could.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Sadly, there are many people that blame the women for rape if they are wearing revealing clothes, just look at the laws in the Middle east for example.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I was raised Christian ( baptist). When I was Christian, I followed those rules exactly so did my mom and sister. This comes along with being committed to Christianity. Our reasons for abiding by those things were different than your preacher's, he is obviously ignorant.  Of course I don't believe it is right, that is one of the many many reasons why I am not Christian.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

DITTO!!

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh My Grannydress!!! Rape is about power PLEASE go buy him a book about what Rapists rape for!!! as JW's we believe we are to dress modestly and not wear overly suggestive cloths but women are not picked to be raped because of what they are wearing, about 3 years ago there were (No this is not a nun joke) two nuns who were raped by one man, one of them was murdered......
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• in my church I'm catholic we can wear shorts but not to short our priest thinks that you should come to church comfortable....I wear shorts and jeans but I dress them up....but other churches do have a dress code....my family and I went to another church cause we missed our mass and we had just got done with a soccer game so my daughter was in her uniform and we were in shorts...when we got there we saw a sign saying no shorts or sleeveless blouses well out of respect we left and went to another church....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I am not pentacostal but I have been to a UPC church and when the pastor preached on clothing it was not because you were goin to get rapped but because you are being modest. They explained it that when women wear revealing clothing, ie, tight jeans it shows off things that a man should not see and he has thoughts that are unGodly. Alot of the ladys also told me they wear the skirts out of coviction (?sp).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 1, 2009