A.D.D/A.D.H.D???

do you think when a child is diagnosed that the parent should try to get the child social security disability????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• no they're not disabled, most children with add/adhd are actually more intelligent than "normal" children, they just get bord
    Anonymous

• No, they are not disabled. A child with ADD/ADHD's life is not affected enough to get SSI. My son is ADD and trust me, he is a very normal child--he just can't sit still or concentrate when he is distracted, He doesn't get bored easily either. He is very intelligent, absorbs knowledge like a sponge, can mulitask like you wouldn't believe but rarely bored.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• It would depend on the severity of the symptoms and how well the child is able to function within society. There are some children who because their behavior isn't controlled they don't learn and therefor would qualify for disability.

By the way being disabled does not mean you are unintelligent, just unable to work or do the typical things of life. For example, a person maybe disabled by a stroke, their mind is fully functional but their body is not. They would be unable to work in most settings.  To assume that disability equals lack of intellegence is insulting to those who are physically disabled.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• IMO.....getting disability for a child will label them for life. And may even "label" them to themselves....????
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• uh, no children with add may struggle as adolescents but in my experience with the right coping mechanisms and medication if necessary a child with adhd or add can grow up to be a far more successful adult than his non add adhd peers... I'm living proof :) It can actually be a gift. My innability to stick to one topic for long has made me the life of the party and on more than one occassion has given me incredibly creative ideas that have been solutions for huge problems (ex how can I work from home without actually WORKING FOR someone?)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:24 AM on May. 1, 2009

• also, there is no need for a child to collect disability. What bills does he have to pay? However if a child is 17, 16 even and it is clear there diagnosis will hinder their ability to function like the rest of teh world then teh parent should start the disability process since almost every first time applicant is denied, it can take a while. But there is no reason why a 7 year old needs to get an $800 check every month
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:33 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My son is ADHD, and no, I don't think they should. Should my daughter also get it, because she wears glasses?

People are always going to have something to overcome, or that makes things harder or different than it does for someone else. But, while it's NOT easy, there ARE ways to learn to cope with it and handle it, and, to a certain extent, even make it work for you in some circumstances.

It's not a "disability", nor should it be treated as such. And no, they should not be collecting disability!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:45 AM on May. 1, 2009

• It's almost impossible to get disability with an ADD diagnosis. Spend the time on getting your child real treatment-rule out anything that can resemble add behaviors, change diet, avoid artificial anything and everything, look into behavior modification, and take a good look in the mirror and determine what you might be doing that impacts the situation. It is a multi-faceted area and there is no one simple solution.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has ADHD & ODD pretty bad and I couldn't even get her an IEP. Not even a 504!
    It isn't considered a disability and is too frequently diagnosed and medicated. I think more research needs to be put into this area before any firm decisions can be made.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:17 PM on May. 1, 2009