frustrated with bf

anyone else? my daughter never seems to get enough when i breast feed her, and it makes us both frustrated. Eventually i give up and just give her formula. I know there are specific advantages to BF vs bottle feeding, but is it really that big of a deal? is it okay to do both? i feel like just giving up and strictly bottle feeding her. She's almost a month now.

knjones

Asked by knjones at 11:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your supply will regulate....she should be getting enough...if YOU feel like you want to do both, then DO IT...YOU are the mommy. Not anyone else on here or otherwise can make that decision for you...a LOT of people do both....If you feel like you DD isn't getting enough, and if she does ok with the formula, then she's getting some of yours.....Maybe you can pump to see exactly how much you are giving her....although pumping is not a good indicator. Thats how I do with mine during the day if Im working, I pump and DH gives her a bottle and YES sometimes I DO have to give her formula b/c I don't get enough BM....It's your decision and whatever one you make it will be the right one..don't feel like you need to give up, just try different things with her. She's still litttle.

but is it really that big of a deal?

To some people it's a huge deal...some people will treat you like you're going to hell for FF....Youre not =)
    Anonymous

• PP here...also if you are BFing, make sure you are feeding on demand which might seem like ALOT....but the more you nurse her the more milk you will produce...good luck mama and congrats on the baby girl =)
    Anonymous

• make sure the formula has dha & rha in it its bold on the lable. its the beneficial factor of breast milk that helps with building the immune system and brain development!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• sometimes baby uses your boob as a pacifier. when i had my baby i used to express my milk and give her a bottel. just make shure you give her a boob once in a while because pumping is not the same as breast feeding. I also bought niple cover and she liked it better than my boob and then eventualy we went to taking a boob. don't give up on breast feeding. it will get easier. let me know how it goes
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 12:02 AM on May. 1, 2009

• After three solid weeks of pumping milk for my preemie because his suck was not strong enough to draw out what he needed we switched to formula. He had a lot fo troubles at first but he had a lot of issues coming in to life what with being 5 weeks early to begin with. He is pretty healthy now and very happy. I personally am a very modest person adn I have a dishwasher so bottles actually feel like less of a hassle especially when they get to that age where they can feed themselves. You dont have to be attached to them everytime they want to eat which give you more free time so you CAN be attached for the fun stuff like air plane rides tickle fests story time and baby signing sessions. I like not having to worry about whipping out my brests every time my kid is hungry but I won't lie, accepting that I was just to exhausted to try to continue nursing stung alot and I actually couldnt quit until someone (my mother) gave me cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:10 AM on May. 1, 2009

• permission to give my son formula. There is a lot of pressure on women to nurse and when it just isnt feasible anymore we feel like failures and it's horrible. Formula was created for the women who just cant continue nursing for whatever reason it is. Don't feel guilty, don't feel bad, do what is best for you, your baby and your sanity ;)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:11 AM on May. 1, 2009

• If you really want to breastfeed, stop giving up and giving formula. If you feel you absolutely have to give formula, then PUMP, PUMP, PUMP! It will help to increase your supply. Try things like lots of oatmeal, and lots of fluids. Try going to http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/supply.html.

Good luck.  And like humanitarian said, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  Don't beat yourself up.  Just knowing you gave it your all should be enough to know you're a great mom, doing a great job!

MomEveryDay

Answer by MomEveryDay at 12:49 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Join a breastfeeding group here. A month is far too soon to even be thinking of quitting. First things first, why do you think she's not getting enough? The only real way to diagnose this is if she's not having as many wet or poopy diapers as a baby her age should. Babies go through a growth spurt around this time and it makes them eat eat eat eat eat. It's normal and you should just feed on demand. It's big deal because not only does breastfeeding have incredible benefits, but formula has serious risks. It's only ok to do both if you have a rare disorder making you incapable of producing enough milk therefore forcing you to supplement. So what exactly are you frustrated with? If it's just frequent nursing, there's no problem. Check out kellymom.com, breastfeeding.com, and llli.org. The more you know about typical breastfeeding issues, the more comfortable and confident you'll feel nursing. Supplementing is the (cont)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:13 AM on May. 1, 2009

• worst thing you can do for your breastfeeding success. Feel free to message me if you truly want help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:14 AM on May. 1, 2009

• She's suppsoed to never seem satisfied...but if she's wetting 6-8 dipes a day then she IS getting enough.

Trust me. You will be frustrated with your child more often than not.

FOREVER. That doesn't go away, it just changes to new sources of frustration. **smile** Sounds like you're doing much beter than you think, and if you dumped the fomrula you;d really be right on target.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 AM on May. 1, 2009