Pentacostal/Apostolic

Why do you wear skirts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• because they look pretty when they do their Holy Ghost ho downs... sorry that was probably uncalled I had a horrific experience in a pentecostal church, but the real reason is the believe that it preserves a womans feminimity which has been compromised by society
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:43 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I am not pentecostal or anything, but I am pretty sure at least part of it is because of how they interpret these 2 verses:

1 Timothy 2:9: In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array

Deuteronomy 22:5: The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:06 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm pentecostal and don't wear skirts---I think it's more the Holliness pentecostal sects that do that. I am Assemblies of God pentecostal. We are free of "rules".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on May. 1, 2009

• im also pentecostal and dont wear skirts that was in the old testament and some still wear them but Jesus did away with the old law when he died on the cross

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:59 AM on May. 1, 2009

• i grew up pentecostal and when i was younger we had to wear skirts.. it was based on Deut. 22:5 and whenever we asked that was the quoted verse. Now, I wear jeans every sunday to church.

Btw - humaniterian97 - i taught childrens church and taught the kids how to line dance to Christian country music.. that might qualify as a Holy Ghost hoe down....oh and it was a Pentecostal Holiness church : )
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:41 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I was raised in the pentecostal church and we consider ourselves now to be nondenominational but follow a lot of the apostolic beliefs.....we do not wear skirts ( unless you want to), I wear tons of make up, I have my nose pierced, we love rockin music, I cut my hair....So thats me....BUt I will answer your question. Its an issue of modesty. They believe that by wearing pants, they are showing their hips and thighs and it could cause a man to have lustful thoughts. Also is about femininity. They want women to look like women and men to look like men. Thats my knowledge of it. If I am wrong, please someone lovingly correct me. I feel that I, as a christian, am freed from that legalism. God accepts me as I am and could care less what I am wearing, but is concerned with my heart condition. If I am being immodest in my dress or drawing attention to myself, then its not about what I wear but about whats in my heart.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:32 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I was going to correct the skirts referral, but I see it's already been done, LOL.

I think you might be thinking of the Fundamental Baptists.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:00 AM on May. 1, 2009