TV...

How much TV do you allow your baby to watch, and how old are they? And I don't mean you watching a show and them looking at occasionally...I mean how often do you turn a program on just for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I leave learning shows on for my kids all the time, but they dont actually watch it all the time. they might watch it an hour a day...i say if that. We go to the park a lot or they are too busy playing and then fighting and then playing again.
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 12:47 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I never turn on tv shows just for my baby but he is only 7 months old and we only have 4 channels LOL I dont think there is anything wrong with tv in moderation
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:51 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I let my infant watch They Might be Giants Podcasts on youtube on Sunday for about half an hour to an hour. I read to him more than he watches tv and computers though.
    lolaforpresidnt

Answer by lolaforpresidnt at 12:51 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My DD get a few episodes of Dora or Little Einsteins a week at around 15 months. Babies have no business in front of a TV.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:33 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughter is nine months and I have never once turned tv on just for her. I just think shes too little, plus I dont want her to get hooked on it real young, and then Id be forced to watch some of the idiotic shoes earlier then I want to lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:20 AM on May. 1, 2009

• OP Here....I am only posting anonymously because I don't want the TV police to come after me!

jus1jess, you say that babies have no business in front of a TV, yet you admit that your baby watches TV? A little contradictory, don't you think?

I was just asking this question out of my own guilt. I wanted to know that I am not the only one who lets my baby (11 months old) watch the OCCASIONAL TV program.....She watches maybe an hour a day...And not even every day.....I only let her watch Sprout....And it's only so I can get something done around the house....She's walking, and she CLIMBS the furniture.....So I put her in her jumper with a snack with the TV on....Is that so bad?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on May. 1, 2009

• there is a lot of evidence that shows that babies under 2 can have developmental delays from watching TV; that said, I don't think 1/2 hour a day will damage them. Read to your baby, take her on walks, put her in a front carrier or backpack while you do chores around the house and talk to her (let her know what you are doing and why you are doing this).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 AM on May. 1, 2009

• When my 4 kids were babies, I don't ever recall turning on the tv just for them to watch. That's not a good practice to get into. Once they got a little older, Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers were favorite shows of ours, and I would sit with them and watch it.
    When my 3rd son was about a year and a half old, he would dance to the music at the beginning of Married With Children when dh watched it. LOL !
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 7:10 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My baby is 4 months old, and I'll occasionally put on Baby Einstein and sit her in the walker just so I can do the dishes or cooking if Daddy isn't home. But that's about the only time. It usually is only for about 30min to an hour.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:33 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My baby is 8 months and ill let her watch Noggin while I pump just to keep her occupied
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:50 AM on May. 1, 2009