I'm experimenting with fruit. Any suggestions?

Hi. I'm trying to add new fruits into my family's daily diet...especially ones that are considered more exotic . Any suggestions? I'm also interested in new veggies too. Any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've always liked Kiwis, star fruits, and Lychee fruit.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:03 AM on May. 1, 2009

• mango, star fruit, asian pear, avacado, plantain(platano), coacoa nut, I know more but I am having a brain fart
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:03 AM on May. 1, 2009

• There not very exotic but snow peas, edamame w/ or w/o a little salt, and fuji apples are my favorites snacks right now. We have been eating a lot of blackberries and blueberries. My daughter likes cherry tomatoes.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:29 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Love mango with that chili spice for fruit on it. I've been eating blackberries since they've been on sale. Strawberry shortcakes too.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 2:39 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'd have to say Mango too. If you get a good one, they're amazing! My friend makes a dessert with Mangos, rice and coconut milk.

The Kiwi suggestion above is a good one too, if that's not something you normally eat. I can't say I'd call them exotic though. My hometown of Grildey, CA (northern CA) is famous for Kiwis. (That's about all it's known for). LOL! Anyway, something good my mom always did with Kiwis was to cut them up, cut up some bananas and then fold in whipped cream or cool whip. She would serve it with dinner as sort of a "jello salad". It was really yummy!

Love love love blackberries and strawberries too!

Zucchini is my favorite veggie. Try breading it to make it more appealing to kids. (although mom used to deep fry it for us sometimes) LOL! I slice them up and throw in some onions and saute it all. Then I add cut up leftover baked potatos. Top with cheese and let melt! YUMMO!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:24 AM on May. 1, 2009

• For healthy fruits: coconut, kiwi, mango, papaya, blueberries
    For new veggies to try: jicima (great raw with dip or shredded in salads), kale, swiss chard, eggplant, it is aparagus season. Take your kids to the farmers market, let them talk to the people who grow foods, and get ideas from the farmers.
    Take your kids to the library and look at cookbooks (not just the kids cookbooks, though I love Pretend Soup). Bring a couple home, and let them pick recipes to prepare (with your help) and share with the family.
    I have a ton of great recipes, feel free to contact me directly.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:26 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Tropical fruits are so amazing in flavor, but beware! They are the worst when it comes to being loaded with carbs.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:56 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I like to grill pineapple.
    You can also make fruit kabobs with all kids of fruit and maybe a dip
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Starfruit, kiwi, asian pear (mixture of an apple and pear, really yummy!!!!)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My daughter loves pomegranates and canned mandarin oranges.
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 12:54 AM on May. 2, 2009