low iron?

I recently had my iron levels checked to find out I am in they are drastically low! 70% of people have iron levels higher than I do. I am so embarrassed! I live in a country where food is everywhere and somehow I am malnourished.

So, how do I improve this? We are not big meat eaters. Maybe a small portion once a day. At the most. What are some fruits and vegetables that are high in iron? (please don't say beats . . . . please don't say beats).

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 2:13 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Health

• TUNA
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:17 AM on May. 1, 2009

• OTHINK THERE IS? IRON
    2mothershelpers

• Why didn't they give you iron pills!? go to loveyourbaby.com/iron-rich-food-list.htm
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:18 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm not a big meat eater and never have been...struggled for a long time to keep my iron up...so what I do now is not take iron pill but I take a multi vitamin with iron in it and try to eat more iron fortified foods like beans etc. you'll be amazed how much better you feel also. it take a tremendous toll on your body.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 2:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I want to change my diet. We have been trying to have a more balanced diet. I am sure iron pills would be a good quick fix. But I want to make sure I am trying to reteach myself to eat healthier.

Thanks for the list. I am going to look it up right now. I didn't know that about tuna. Thanks!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• stum- I can't imagine the toll it takes! After reading about the problems and issues related to low iron. I can't wait to see how we can improve our overall health.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Remember that the human body was made requiring protein with each meal, esp. breakfast. Iron is what gives the blood oxygen so that you are able to have energy to live and be active during the day. Once your iron levels improve you'll prob. find you feel much better and have more stamina.

Chicken is a perfect protein, but doesn't supply iron like red meat.  Most families don't serve protein to their children for breakfast, and offer high carb choices.  These starches (cereals, breads, pancakes, etc.) spike the blood sugar then causes a drop which makes a childs brain sluggish.  They can't do their best in school.

Eggs, dried beans, nuts, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, fish have protein and should be served 3 times a day.  Fast food rest. do not supply quality protein. 

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:54 AM on May. 1, 2009

• continued...

To make sure that your body is absorbing all the iron it needs be sure to watch your dairy intake. While calcium is a necessity in the human body, dairy like milk, cheese, ice cream, etc. blocks the body from absorbing iron. When you take in less dairy, and increase protein, you'll find your iron level to increase naturally without supplements.

If you take iron pills be sure to increase your fiber and water intake. Iron supple. can make you constipated.

lifeasinoit

• Beans and greens! Plant based iron (and calcium) are so much better for you than animal based.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 AM on May. 1, 2009