How do you feel about having your "older" child in the room when you give birth to the next?

In the "what to expect while your expecting" book there is a chaper called from only child to older child, and in that chapter it says having the older child in the room as the baby is born eliminates jealousy (some what).

What are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• uhhh.. if he was young enough to not understand what was going on than maybe but i would feel creeped out i couldnt do it
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:58 AM on May. 1, 2009

• i think they shouldnt be BAM right there dead center watchingit.. but i think if they are comfortable and mature enough and decide they want to be in the room.. they can be sitting down out of view of the crotch area lol... and "watching" this amazing event take place
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on May. 1, 2009

• no
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:02 AM on May. 1, 2009

• no, i would not do that! my husband is still traumatized from the birth of our 2 children! if they are young they don't really know what to expect and if they are older 18+ they know what to expect so they don't want to be there! and why would you want your children to see you all spread eagle? i think it's gross to people who are not already parents...i might be wrong. it's one of those pretend like you're really mature and act like it doesn't gross you out moments...
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 3:06 AM on May. 1, 2009

• you can eliminate jealousy by making older sibling feel important like grabbing diapers for you or even helping feed with a bottle just make him feel like hes not being replaced and you should be fine
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:06 AM on May. 1, 2009

• i think it depends on the child's maturity/understanding. some might think "wow! there's the baby!"

others might be a bit traumatized by the whole 'mommy's screaming and in pain and all of these people are around her (if you're in a hospital) what's goin on??' situation...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on May. 1, 2009

• No way no how it's not a place for a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I think it's fine. My 10 yo & 4 yo were with me when i delivered a little over a week ago. Sometimes we don't have a choice but to have our other kids us. Mine handled it very well, My youngest went to all my midwife appts and my midwife made sure she explained everything that was going on to him, He even told the nurses all the info he knew. It was a really good experiance for everyone who was involved.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:09 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm thinking it's not such a good idea if your kid is sensitive. I had an epidural but still yelled out a couple of times, not to mention all the tubes and wires (IV and monitors) would have freaked him out. He would have been too upset thinking Mommy was hurting and I'd be concerned he'd then blame the baby for "hurting mommy".

However...it also depends on the age of the "older" child...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:16 AM on May. 1, 2009

• No way. MY DH was there and that was it. I didn't even want anyone back there while I was in labor but him!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 6:57 AM on May. 1, 2009