How many words does your 21 month old say?

My21 month old son is tongue-tied and he only says about 25 words. His pediatrician finally referred me to a speacialist, but I was wondering how many words other toddlers speak.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my niece speaks in full sentences at this age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My oldest was carrying on full conversations at that age.
    My second was using full sentences, but very difficult for others to understand (now receives speech therapy for articulation)
    My third didn't say his first word until 23 months after a month of speech therapy. (now uses small sentences 6 months later!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:13 AM on May. 1, 2009

• you know my son just turned 2 (24 mos) and he says a quite a few words but no sentences yet it has me wondering sometimes. My daughter had quite the vocab at an early age and was talking in sentences at this point and reading by age 3. Then later we found out at 5 she has aspergers. So I don't know what to think at this point Im just letting him go at his own pace. I know he understands what we are saying when we speak with him and it's funny when were driving to pick up his dad he knows where we are and starts saying daddy or when were going for pizza or to the park etc...
    ALO921

Answer by ALO921 at 7:49 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I watch a little girl that is two and half and she hardley says anything. I can count on two hands how many words she says! It is so frustrating. and her mom doesnt think there is anything wrong with her. sometimes she will repeat what you say but you cant understand what it is. she still doesnt say "thank you" she just makes the sounds. people who dont know her dont even know what she is saying i have to tell them. I know they all develope on their own tracks, but i think she should be saying more. She doesnt even understand when i tell her to cover her mouth when she coughs, and i work with her everyday on things! I dont know how to tell her mom! So compaired to me your son is WAY ahead of the game!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 1, 2009

• my son will be 2 on may 17th. he only says a few words mama,dada,david(his big brothers name),auntie, oh-no, i did it and tries to say up sounds more like uuuhh. he is in eaely intervention with birtto 3 for speech and sensory processing dissorder and watching for possible autism spectrum dissorder. so i'm told most children their age are sayin alot more and small sentences by now. try getting involved with a local early intervention program they can do an eval ,let you know if something is wrong maybe she needs speech.they can get you any help she may need.
    good luck.

p.s for the lady who watches the little 21/2 yr old tell her mom too to get involved with early intervention program sounds like she needsit, and these kids age out of the programs @ 3yrs old.then they go into preschool.
    again good luck all you other moms -caregivers
    amylyn205

Answer by amylyn205 at 3:34 PM on May. 3, 2009