Can the computer guys in the office know when I'm logged in to CM?

I know I shouldn't log on to CM when I'm at work but I'm so 'addicted' I've been secretly logging on at every opportunity I get. I'm wondering if the people in the office (i.e. the computer admin guys) know my activities and what my screen name is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on May. 1, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Yes, there are a lot of ways for them to trace this and know. The company could be using "key loggers". They could have various "flags" set up to let them know when outside or non work related sites are visited, or when a site is visited frequently. They could pull the history, they could be checking the "cookies", etc.

Also, if your computer at work is part of any computer network at work, which most are, whether people know it or not, they could even be monitoring your computer "remotely" - meaning from their own computer systems, without ever actually physically touching your computer. For example, keylogger programs can be installed on a system, then, depending on what the parameters they have chosen, they could have "screen shots" or even transcripts of what is done or typed sent to a separate account, which they can then access and review from a different computer.

Not trying to scare you, but...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:52 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Op here. Thanks sailorwife for the info. Geez, guess I'd better not be typing on CM anymore at work.
    Do the 'cookies', etc reside on my hard-drive or do they reside 'somewhere out there'. Am I able to delete them?
    Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Op here again (call me a dumb woman, I don't care but I just want to know). If they can trace my activities, does it mean when I'm reading my personal emails, they'll see what I'm reading too? Pretty scary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes, they can see all your activity online if they choose to track it - including anything you type, links you visit, your e-mails, bank information if you're accessing that, everything! Many, many companies use software to track employees' online activities, and it's perfectly legal for them to do so (you're using *their* equipment and *their* internet connection, after all). An employee should not have any expectation of privacy if using company equipment / internet access for personal online activities.
    RCrohn

Answer by RCrohn at 9:08 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Absolutely ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Op here. Thank you ladies, for the info. I never knew companies could do that. Guess from now on, I'd better be a 'good girl' and not surf the internet. Imagine, the company could be reading our personal emails. I think that's invasion of privacy.
    Anonymous

• To be honest, in a way it is an invasion of your privacy, but, and I don't mean this to be mean, but this is how the employers are looking at it - when you surf the net, do personal emails, banking, etc, when you're at work, then, in a way, you're stealing from them. Because they are paying you for your time and labor, and when you're doing your own business on their time, then you aren't doing theirs.

Which means to them that basically you are stealing their time and productivity. So just like a store might have anti theft devices or companies might have security cameras to cut down on it, they monitor what you are using their resources and the time they have bought to do for your own use.

Anonymous

• OP here. I agree with you Anon. I usually don't surf the internet very much and if I do, it's only for just a few minutes, checking emails, banking, etc. and then back to work, work, work. It's only recently that I joined CM, I find myself 'tempted' to log in all the time (but I still keep my work up-to-date)

Anyway, just want to let you know you're answer is not mean at all and I appreciate it very much.
    Thank you all again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say! I was trying very hard to word it tactfully. I didn't want to say that you weren't doing your job or anything like that. I was just trying to show how they look at it and justify monitoring it.

I really didn't want it to come out mean and nasty or to sound like I was accusing you of anything, thank you for understanding and taking it in the nice tone I was thinking it in :-)
    Anonymous