What is exactly "sleep through the night" mean?How many hours?How to establish it?

I have a 7 weeks old son. I want to teach him somehow not to weak upduring the night for feeding. How to do it? How to establish a long night sleep? Should I skip that middle of the night meal?

silviadimova

Asked by silviadimova at 5:52 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that we all define this differently. And all babies are different. Mine slept 6 solid hours at 8 months. Good luck and be patient; some day you will have a teen who you can't get to wake up!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on May. 1, 2009

• ive read that "sleeping through the night" means sleeping for 6 hours straight...

you cant really teach a little baby to sleep through the night though. just kind of luck.
    with skipping the meal in the middle of the night... dont do that if the baby wakes up and needs to eat. my daughter will start waking a little in the middle of the night and i give her a boob and shes back to sleep in just a few minutes
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:04 AM on May. 1, 2009

• The general definition is sleeping 5-6 hours at night. You don't establish it, the baby does it when the baby is ready. At 7 weeks, it's too early to force him to go without a feeding. If he's waking for a feeding, he still needs the feeding. (even if he's 10months old)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:05 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I have 4 kids and they all slept through the night starting at one month of age. If your son is hungry in the middle of the night , he is going to wake up. I don't think there's any way of "teaching" him not to wake up.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 7:02 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I heard it was 6-8 hours was sleeping through the night. I have no such luck, and I am pretty sure that;s what it comes down too- luck. Never skip a babies meal, if he is hungry, feed him. You should count yourself lucky that he only wakes up once a night!
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 7:50 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I have no idea how you get them to sleep through the night. My little girl has slept 10-12 hrs every night starting at 2 days old. Only about 3 nights she woke up once to eat.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:10 AM on May. 1, 2009

• At 7 weeks I think it is a bit soon. If he is hungry feed him. If he wakes up and you start to feed him but he falls asleep pretty wuickly he may not be hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I used "on demand" style parenting with my first two. We were all sleep deprived for the first 3 years. I changed to a "gentle schedule" with my last two, and subsequent foster infants and they slept thru the nite beautifully. Our family was well rested, became completely healthy, babies that ate much better and were satisfied and happy. We loved it.

You simply have to look for moms who are parenting the style that you find successful, and ask her how she does it. Listen to everyone, but ultimately make up your own mind using common sense.

BTW, my childrens ped. is still living at 113 years old. I think that says something as to how healthy and well rested she must be and how she trained me to parent my own children for over 18 years. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:30 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Actually sleeping through the night for an infant is 4-6 hours. 7 weeks is to young for sleep traing baby no baby is to young for a bedtime routine :)
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:30 AM on May. 1, 2009

• 6 hours... My daughter slept 6 hours the day she came home from the hospital. My son slept 6 hours at around 8 weeks.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:16 AM on May. 1, 2009