I need to come up with a birthday party for my 2yr old son where there will be mostly adults aunts, uncles, cousins that are 9 and up grandparents and such but I want it to be fun for me Son since it's for him any suggestions?

We usually do a cook out like last year for his first but my husband doesn't want to play chef this year.

ALO921

Asked by ALO921 at 8:12 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For my son's 2nd birthday I did an Elmo, Sesame Street theme. I took my table and covered it with the elmo stuff. I made enough cupcakes of various flavors to make the number 2. I hung streamers from a window and put black and white photos of my son on it in staggered positions. I ordered pizza, rented a moonwalk for the older kids and had goodie bags. My Grandmom is a heart patient so I had fruit and veggie trays set out for her.

I loved his 2nd birthday. He had so much fun and was amazed with a bubble blower lawn mower he got. He ran through the living room with it, bubbles everywhere. I took a picture of my son pushing the lawn mower in front of my Dad. It was a cute shot and I did it with black and white film. Then I went to Walmart and got the magnet sticky sheets and put the picture on it. It's still on my fridge and my son will be 8 in June.

Make the day fun.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:28 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Spending time with your family will be fun for you son. He won't care that it's his b-day. He'll have fun playing with all the people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree with Anonymous. My oldest nephew will be 5 this month and at all his bdays parties, he was the only child, besides his siblings. He had so much fun playing with all the adults. We would play baseball or soccer, anything he wanted. And he loved it.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:32 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree, pick a theme he will like and everyone will have fun because you are all together. It doesn't have to be an orchestrated event! Just enjoy the day!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:08 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I do have Elmo as the theme since he loves him, for the cake ,plates and napkins etc...I just don't want to short him or feel as if I am since I've always thrown big parties for his older sister and lots of kids her age.Just trying to please everyone and my focus should be on the party for Aidan and not worry so much about the adults being bored etc....and living in Saratoga for a while there it did have to be a orchestrated event you know keeping up with the Jones's.I did that for my daughter until age 8 I don't want to start that with my son.Thanks for the ideas coming in. It helps put things in a little more perspective as of what I am going to do.
    ALO921

Answer by ALO921 at 3:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I was going to do my son's 2nd b-day at a chuck e. cheese, but I decided not to, my hubby and I don't have any family here, and we have many friends but only 3 couples have kids, and there is so much drama going on with some not talking to others, so I wouldn't want to put them all in one place, my son doesn't care about the party, and I don't want some drama going on his b-day, so hubby and I decided to make a great weekend out of it, and take him to the zoo, then to the aquarium, and go to the big apple circus, and we're going to buy him lots of gifts and call it a day, as long as the child is happy that's all that matters, kids this age don't care about some big parties, unless they have some friends of their own like in a day care or preschool. good luck

Shaima78

Answer by Shaima78 at 4:41 PM on May. 1, 2009