I can't believe how many of you don't know what hate crime is. How can this happen?

There has been a lot of talk about this since the Hate Crime legislation is up for renewal. I keep reading things like "a crime is a crime" or "All crime is hate crime." I don't think you understand what it really is. It is lynch mobs. It is violence against a person solely for their gender, religion, race, or sexual orientation. Can you imagine being tied to a post, beaten, tortured, burned, and left bleeding for dead just because you love your husband? Or just because your skin is the color that it is, or because you pray a certain way?

It is a means of intimidation or social/ethnic cleansing or in the sickest cases it's just for fun. Lynch mobs, gay bashing, Church bombings, these are examples of hate crimes. I've heard people say that you can't prosecute based on what someone is thinking.

I challenge that too. What do you think is the difference between murder and manslaughter? It's intent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So many morons with no clue. I just can't believe it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:11 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Cont - The difference between a murder and an assassination is a political motive. We use motive and intent in determining the charges applied to a crime all the time.

How can you sit there and say that there is no such thing as hate crime given our country's history?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Tied up and beaten because of my race or my marital status?
    Tied up and beaten because someone wanted my wallet, car, jewelery?

Does one bring about a different degree of pain? How do you determine one hurts more than the other?

If someone ties up and beats up my grandmother then robs her, are they not deserving as the same punishment as someone who beats up and does the same foul things a person because they are gay? Please explain
    myame

Answer by myame at 8:24 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Yes there is hate crime.People don't like to talk about . There is just no justification doing horrible thing to a other human . State of Alaska is with the highest rape rates ,nobody will talk about that most victims are Alaska Natives.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Myame, you don't get it. One is aimed at intimidating people of a certain status. Being beaten and robbed is not the same thing as being hunted. Are you trying to equate lynch mobs to a mugging? Being tied to a car and dragged down the road? Tarred and feathered? Having your church bombed? These things are meant to send a message to people that your kind is not wanted. It doesn't just hurt the person being tortured it hurts an entire social group.

You are only showing your ignorance and lack of credibility by arguing this point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 1, 2009

• The biggest hate crime of all occurred on Jan.20,2009. The sad part is,no one seems to care,and most appear oblivious to it. Sad, and pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Who said there was no such thing? I firmly believe that intent has a lot to do with how a person is punished. I could get in my car and hurt someone badly, but it be a total accident. It was not intended and I feel awful about it, but I still have to pay for it. I agree with your definition of hate crime so I won't ellaborate on that. Hate crimes are deliberate and intented to harm, hurt and destroy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:03 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Why is this question being posted anonymously?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:09 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm not OP, but who cares lifeasinoit? really? Next there will be hate crime against anon.

I see where OP is coming from, but still, a crime is a crime. Murder is murder. If someone is tortured and killed, the murderer should be punished accordingly, no matter what the reason for their crime! Hate, greed, jealousy, whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 1, 2009

• :44 here.... Regarding anon :42..... Say I am a male christian with middle of the road political views. If I were attacked, robbed and raped, just for greed, there is still a message being sent loud and clear! That is that people are crazy and NO ONE is safe in this world! We need to protect ourselves and be proactive. Mind you, I understand what you're saying, but I just think you're minimizing the crimes that just are. They are just as hurtful and damaging to a person as a "hate crime". Maybe more so since there is no apparent reason for its occurrence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 1, 2009