WHY is it that people on government assistance are...

more rude then others?? ( I know this does not apply to ALL but most) The reason I ask this is because I work in retail and I NEVER have more rude people then I do the first week of the month. I have been called every name in the book and some has even gone as far as throwing their stuff at me! It was uncalled for and I did let this go in one ear out the other! If they are like this to me at a store, I can ONLY imagine how they are at home with their children and other half.

SweetKYmom

Asked by SweetKYmom at 8:32 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I get government assistance (food stamps) and I am not rude!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:35 AM on May. 1, 2009

• i think that alot of people are embarrassed and feel they are always being looked down on therefore they get attitudes right away assuming that you are thinking bad about them for being on assistance, others are on it and think they are so much better than everyone else and just have attitudes anyways.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• At one point in time I was on food stamps and even got the state check once a month. I HAD to have it to get back on my feet but I NEVER once got an attitude thinking I was better then everyone. I NEVER gave any cashiers trouble. I would go get my stuff, check out then come back home. I sure wish some would lighten up and give others a chance.
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 8:41 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Defense mechanism? I get WIC but never have an attitude. If anything, I am humble when I have to use the WIC checks.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:42 AM on May. 1, 2009

• A couple reasons...first not all are like that, I am sure....Second, theres probably some entitlement issues and third, its likely because they are afraid that they are automatically being judged so they lash out first. You know...get you before you get me. They could just be stressed. Just kill them with kindness.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:52 AM on May. 1, 2009

• i was not trying to offend anyone with my response i too am on fs at this point and i dont get an attitude either. i am thankful they are there and able to help us out at this point. i was just stating that people on assistance always seem to get a bad rap so therefore some are defensive right off the bat and others feel that they deserve it and not one should say anything about it. ya know?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:52 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I lost my job last week and had to get the medical card. When I went into my doctor appointment yesterday and told them about the change, I felt the lady was annoyed with me. I kept apologizing because I really do feel bad.

Maybe they're like that because people are rude to them? Not making excuses for them at all. Just a thought.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 9:01 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm not rude and I'm on Medicaid, get food stamps, and get WIC for my daughter.

I'm actually nicer when I'm using my benefits. I act more gracious and thankful that I'm able to get assistance.

I'm sorry a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch for you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:15 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I'm on gvmt assistance, and I am NOT like that!!! I do know of some people that are. BUT a lot of supermarket workers, once they see a WIC check or the food stamp card, their whole attitude and demeanor changes toward you. I shop at Kroger's and there are a few cashiers in particular that when they see my WIC checks, they were nice as could be to the person in front of me, but when they check me out, they get really rude and mean. I can't say ALL the blame lies within people on assistance, but with what we're dealt. Some people expect nothing less, so they deal it back. I make it a point not let it get to me. It's the same with the Dr.'s offices around here. The receptionist turn into such b****es when they know you're on Medicaid, and treat you like trash. I personally drive 2 hrs out of my way just so I don't have to deal with Dr.'s like that. IMO I am a person with feelings like everyone else; I should be treated the same!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:45 AM on May. 1, 2009

• about 8 years ago i was on assistence because i left my dd's father ( he was a threat to me and dd ) i needed help. i was never rude people were rude to me and even would look down to me when i took out the ebt card and roll there eyes like another one were helping... i was very depressed about it and dreaded useing it. but i needed the help, i went threw schooling passed with high grades and as soon as i was able to ( less then a year) i asked to get off assistence but thanked them for helping me. even now when i see someone take out there card u can see the look in there eyes there not thrilled about it and i do feel for them i know life can be hard and sometimes u have no choice, but there was one man that i over heard yelling at a case worker cause he had less fs money and he had 8 kids and yelled we have had x amount for years and i did think maybe u shouldnt have had more kids his g/f was pregnant to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 1, 2009