Why is my son treated as an outcast?

I have noticed here lately that my son is not treated like the others. Kids are not wanting to play with him and they are not wanting to come to any of his b-day parties or get togethers every now and then. I am NOT rich but I do NOT get and government assistance. We are comfortable. I do NOT get my son everything he wants and yes we shop at wal-mart, kmarts, dollar generals and so forth. I even go yard saleing and good willing. There was some boys mom come up to me just yesterday saying that she really adores my son but always told her son to be careful of my son because they "thought" that my son thought he was better then everyone bc he wasnt getting any kind of assistance. IN that instance, I told that my mom to STOP telling her son bad things of my kid AND that I am more then willing to talk to her. I even invited her to the house just so that she can see that we are NOT what she thinks of us!

SweetKYmom

Asked by SweetKYmom at 8:39 AM on May. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it were me I wouldn't give a hoot what she thought. She thinks that of you because you don't sit there with your hand out from the government? She's one to talk. Geez.

My son and I moved into my DH's house with he and his son. I don't like the neighborhood but the house is fine. I am trying to sell my house as we speak. I don't let my son play with the neighborhood kids because I think they are trash. They (about 15 kids ranging from 3-15) all play together which is fine but they go into everyone else's yard, park their bikes and skateboards in other's driveways and they are rude to others, yell and cuss outside. NO parents are seen outside monitoring the kids and I won't let me son have anything to do with them. I've told them repeatedly to go play at their home but ours is a corner house and they all hang out in the yard, side of the house, driveway...can't wait to move.

There is nothing wrong with your son.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:52 AM on May. 1, 2009

• It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your DS. Maybe you should look for a playgroup for him online? That way you could both meet at a local park or bowling alley or something and get to know some new people.

Have you talked to your DS to see if he has noticed it or not? Does he care that the other kids don't play with him? I know my DS has 1 good friend he plays with and he could care less about the others so if your DS is like that I wouldn't worry too much unless the situation is upsetting him.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 10:58 AM on May. 1, 2009

• You need to speak with his teachers and learn about the dynamics of his class. Kids will sometimes pick a random classmate to be an outcast, without a reason. It is possible that there is something going on at school that you don't know about. You really need to get involved. Please let us know how things go; we went thru this with my daughter a couple of years ago so I know how heartbreaking it can be.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I am VERY involved in my sons schooling! There is not a day that goes by that his teacher and I exchange emails and/or phone conversations! She has even said that my son is the CLASS CLOWN and that everyone is always wanting to talk to Ethan! I was like ok..is everything ok and she said yes. She is very thrilled to see that her class has someone that everyone really adores and likes..To me I think some parents are very judgamental by LOOKS! Just bc my son wore a Tommy hilfiger shirt with TH jeans does NOT mean my son is a SNOB! Ugh I hate first impressions~

The SAD part of it ALL is its NOT the kids themselves, it is their PARENTS! How childish parents are becoming!
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 2:02 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The best you can do is keep on keeping on...they will all grow out of it. And yes, many parents are VERY childish because they didn't have their parents home to raise them. Many people who are parents today were raised by the TV.

It is hard to have patience, but I can bet you'll make it through this. You might tell your son that he is to behave better in class. Please don't take that as an insult!! (I have two teachers in my family, and although being funny outside class is great, being funny IN class is a distraction; and it could give people the impression that your child is looking for attention, and so, are against giving him anything they think he might want.)
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 3:53 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It sounds like he's going to school bragging about not getting assistance? The other kids won't want to hang out with him if that's the case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Sounds like the parents really are the problem. There are some kids in my sons class I won't let him hang out with, only because I know the parents and I know how the kids act and I don't want my kids to act that way. And it has NOTHING to do with how they dress. It is the attitude of the parents. I knew some of the parents when I was in school and I couldn't stand them then, so I can be farily confident that they are raising their kids to be the same.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:35 PM on May. 2, 2009

• to be quite honest. from reading your other posts. I'm beginning to think you are the problem, not your son or the other parents.
    Anonymous