stuck in the middle

Myself and my husband, have two sets of friends, with kids. We used to all meet up, for b.day parties , xmas etc.at our houses, and all got on well.
That was until, one of the husbands,(couple 1) not mine, had an argument with another husband,(couple 2) and fell out. Myself and hubby are still friends with both couples, but can,t invite both to anything now, as the others don,t get on, so we tended to just ask one couple and their kids. Now, me especially, I,m getting fed up of this, I still want to see the others , but the other lot(1) badmouth them, and expect us to do the same, tho they,ve(2) never done anything bad to us. We have seen (2) when we can, but (1) don,t know this and think we,re not friendly with the others, the same as them.
The one who started the argument has been quite rude, the last time they came to ours, and we saw another side to him. But I,m friendly with his wife still.
We,re stuck in the middle

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Just see each couple separately. If your husband only wants to see one couple then let him. Don't talk about one couple with any one but themselves not even your dh to put him in the middle. You're all adults, you don't need to be a babysitter of twentysomething year olds. You're a busy mom you deserve a break too. You're a good friend to be worried for everyone!! But if you let yourself get drawn into this further it can go on for ever!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Why not just remove yourself from the middle? Tell each couple separately exactly why you are not going to be calling them any more. Tell them if they decide to settle things and get along, they can let you know. Life is too short to be spent in stress over situations about which you have no control. This one you have the means to handle, so just be honest and then move on.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:45 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I would tell both couples that you don't want to be in the middle, but would still like to be able to do things w/ each of them w/ out them bad mouthing the other and bringin you in the middle of it. If the can't handle what you are saying, or that you are not going to take sides, I'd ditch both couples. Its not worth it. Your not in HS anymore. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:49 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Tell each couple that you like them and you like the other couple too, and that if they can't bring themselves to not gossip about the others to you, and put you in the middle, then maybe you all need to rethink your relationship. You will find out which couple is really your friends, maybe neither one, but you can opt out of their drama.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:12 AM on May. 1, 2009