Do you ever think your kids would be better off without you?

Don't get alarmed I'm not talking suicide or anything it's just sometimes I feel I may be doing more damage than good. Or that maybe someone else would do a better job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can relate!!! I suffer from depression and related issues and often wonder if its taking a toll on my kids! I find myself wondering if I should let someone more mentally stable to keep them until I get out of this rut!!! My depression is worse thanks to verbal, emotional, financial, and physical abuse. I love my kids and would give them the world if I could but I just feel incapable of being a mom when my depression is at its worst!!!! I don't think that wondering if someone could do a better job than us make us or mark us as a bad mom, but a loving and caring mom because you are putting their best interest and happiness before our own!!! AND UNTIL A MOM HAS HIT ROCK BOTTOM AND IS OVERWHELMED PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE WE ARE HUMAN TOO!!! JUST A LITTLE LOST AND CONFUSED, LOOKING FOR BEST SOLUTION TO MATTERS AT HAND!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Maybe ask for help, from family, friends, spouse, etc. I think it's very admirable to be able to admit to these feelings. It shows that you truly love your kids enough to want the very best for them. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• No matter what kind of mother you are....you are your kids mom. There might be someone who is more patient, has their crap together better, has more money, can give them more things, but that doesnt replace YOU. I guarantee you that a child would pick being with their mom over any of those other things anyday. NO one can replace you and no amt of better circumstances makes it better. My kids would want to be with me under ANY circumstance. Remember that. I am sure youre a great mom.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• No, I don't think my son would be better off with someone else. We are each other's worlds no matter how bad things get and they get bad sometimes. But we tough it out. We have been "just he and I" for years and for my son and I to be with DH and his son it is taking some adjusting. We are making it. I have subtly noticed lately that my son and I do things just he and I where we don't include DH and his son. My son and I talk huddled up on the couch, read books, sing together, watch tv together. They just look at us but it's been that way for a long time. He's my sweet face and I'm his best girl. I'm guessing we will be asked by DH to "join" them more for things and we'll gladly do it, but sometimes we resort back to staying next to each other.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• HELL NO!

Answer by older at 10:39 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Thinking back over my parenting mistakes, the long years of clinical depression and bouts of suicide attempts that resulted in months of hospital stays, and now my memory loss due to aggressive treatment, I do think my children would have been better off with another mother. They didn't deserve to be spanked, yelled at, put to bed when I wanted time alone, and have to go through the trials of a crazy mother.
    I often wonder why God blessed me with wonderful children when I am the worst mother there is.
    Anonymous

• I hear that. i have definately had moments when I've thought "you'd be so much better off with a better mommy." We all make mistakes, loose our tempers, screw up, but in the end my kids still say i'm thier favorite mom!!! I believe that God gives us the children we are meant to have and we are the parents they are meant to be raised by even if we sometimes suck at the job.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 12:09 AM on May. 2, 2009

• Compared to their BM, hell to tha no!
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 11:31 AM on May. 2, 2009