Which would you perfer Cremation opposed to Burial?

I know it is cheaper to cremate but it is so hard, even though I know the soul is gone out of the body but the person that you remembered is still there atleast physically. I know people hold the body for almost of week so that family and friends from out of town can pay their respect but I personally would like to get it over with from the day they passed away to the day of the burial/cremation. 2 days tops I would just want to get it over with it is so very sad to drag it on atleast for me it is or maybe I'm just being selfish. What are your thoughts ladies? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've made clear to my husband and family that I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered at the Continental Divide. I have constant wanderlust so this way my final journey will take me all across the country and eventually to both coasts. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:50 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I personally want to be buried, my husband will be cremated. My father was cremated and his funeral services had only his ashes and then the ashes were put to sea. Not meaning like my mother meant it to be his ashes were dumped in an inlet that went out to the ocean with boat oil debris all about. a relative's father had a body funeral in a borrowed casket and then he was cremated and then his cremains were bured somewhere. You can do it whatever way in what ever length of time you want. It's your decision and part of the deceased's decision too. The way I figure it is any one who truly loves the deceased and needs emotionally to be at the funeral will get there no matter what. One thing for those who can't attend the funeral - set up a memory book through the funeral home and ask people to memorialize that person with joyful memories small and big. Death is scary and sad, that's normal. My husband a tough time w/dth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 1, 2009

• anon752 here..."Not meaning like my mother meant it to be" Meant to say my mother thought the dad's ashes put to sea would be closure for her seeing the waves and the horizon etc. But his ashes ended up being put into inlet water that lead out to sea that had boat oil all around us with it being a more calm inlet, actually, not the open sea like she envisioned. She didn't have the money to actually rent a boat to get to the ocean. My suggestion is to focus in death on the great things accomplished by the deceased no matter how short or long life is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I want to be cremated. It's my decision and mine alone in the end.

I personally can't stand the thought of my body deteriorating six feet underground...so I'd prefer for it to be cremated so my ashes can be scattered in various locations. Or possibly put into an urn or a locket for my daughter. Who knows. I just know that I won't need my body after I'm dead, so why take up a plot for someone who might need it?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:11 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My family knows that I wish to donate any part of me that can be used for someone else and then cremated. I don't see the point of using up valuable space for my empty vehicle. But that's just me.

One day I was garage saleing with my MIL when we drove past a cemetary. The sign on the gate said "no pets allowed" so my MIL made a reference to the fact that I couldn't be buried there with my dogs (of course, not what the sign meant anyway). So I said, "That's okay. I'm being cremated". And she was shocked. She said, "Then you'll burn in hell". LOL. ((Don't believe in hell anyways...) She said I would burn in hell because I burned my body. I laughed and told her that I believe, "GOD doesn't care what I do with my body after I'm finished with it. I'll be dead, in spirit and no longer needing my body." I just thought it was amusing.

I don't know why I had to share that but I did...
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• My grandmother used to say before she died that if people didn't have the time to visit her while she was living, she didn't want them to bother visiting her gravesite. And I agree. The body is just a shell and once our spirit is gone, it's just an empty shell. I want to be remembered in people's memories, not by a grave marker.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:37 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I would love to be cremated and have my ashes scattered somewhere in Ireland.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:52 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I've made it clear to my family I want to be cremated. My husband doesn't like this, so everyone is aware that if I go first and he's unwilling to do as I wish, my sister is to handle everything, lol.
    I don't want a huge to-do, either. No viewing or anything like that., so I agree with jenettyshome (I even agree with the donation part!).
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:54 AM on May. 1, 2009

• you can do both. They have areas where you can bury an urn, and place a head stone over it. so family can still pay their respects.

Some prefer cremation for a lot of reasons.
    1- they would rather have their remains scattered into nature in a place they loved and enjoyed (you can't always be buried in places like these, ex. my grandfather wants his ashes to go to Gettysburg, and since he's not a resident, and didn't fight in a war, he can't get a burial plot without spending loads of money, he also wants his ashes mixed with his wife, whom passed away 10 years ago)

2-they can't afford a burial

3- it's not part of their religion. Ex. being in a box slows down some of the processes of deteriaration.(sp?). and leaves behind the box. SO some view it as littering.

4- some just don't like the idea of being buried.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:11 AM on May. 1, 2009

• personally, I want to be cremated, and my ashes scattered somewhere nice. (just as long as it's not in the water, lol). knowing that my ashes are gone and done with, helps people become more at peace with death. I'd rather they honor my memory, by donating to a cause that I liked, or doing something productive in my name, rather than spend the time and money of flowers and a marker, or morn my death.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 AM on May. 1, 2009