My mom wants to be in the room when I have the baby, but he just wants it to be me and him, I'd rather it be just me and him, but I dont know how to break it to my mom without hurting her feelings. How do I say this?

IluvZB19

Asked by IluvZB19 at 8:49 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I went thru this w/ my mom w/ my son. Best thing is to be honest w/ her right away. This way she won't think for the rest of the pregnancy that she will get to be there. Just tell her that you and your hubby are wanting it to be just you two. She has to respect what you and your spouse want. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:56 AM on May. 1, 2009

• my mother wanted to be there also and we didnt want that. so what i did was she called me the morning i went into labor (which was the day i was due) and asked how i was feeling ha ha sitting there having contractions while talking to her i told her i was fine. she asked if anything was happening with the baby yet and i told her no. fourty five minutes later i called hubby and told him that we were having the baby and he needed to come home. so we went to the hospital and did not call anyone til after she was born. i felt bad for a bit but i think they knew that we just wanted this to be our experience. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:56 AM on May. 1, 2009

• ddoddmdextimesaZI don't think you should feel guilty either. The baby is from you and hubby not you and your mom. Having just your hubby helps bond your baby to him and hubby to you. My husband was with me for all three of our births. Almost a quarter of a century has passed since our first was born and it is still most meaningful to my husband. I'd keep hubby helping you more too after getting home. Moms can tend to take over and hubby's loose that newborn time that's very special too. Don't be sad or confused, your mom already had the birth experience of you, now the life cycle goes on and it's your time and your hubby's time. Congratulations mama!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I wanted my mom but not my MIL.. well I sucked it up and let both be in there and I'm glad I did cause I got lots of pictures :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:05 AM on May. 1, 2009

• o jeezo I haven't had my morning joe yet, 804 anon again - ignore the jibberish of letters at the beginning. Post actually starts ...don't think you should feel guilty either......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I agree that you should just be straight up with her from the start. My mom wanted so badly to be there when my son was born, but I just told her I didn't want anyone there. She tried to pull the whole, "You're other sisters let me be in the room!" line, but I didn't budge. As it turned out, I ended up having a room full of spectators anyways though. I think every nurse on the floor was there to watch.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:07 AM on May. 1, 2009