children left in car? whats your input?

ok so on the news a dad was arrested for leaving his 3 month old in his car while he went in to a movie theater to see a movie. ( thats all i know ) besides infant is fine. so made me think what age do u see it ok to leave kid now im not talen about so u can see a movie or go food shoping.. thats wrong. im saying to run in to a country store to grab milk. my son is 3 1/2 and i dont leave him in the car alone i eaither take him in with me or i wait for my almost 12 year old to come home from school. i will run in to grab milk or juice and as long as dd is there i feel its ok its 3 mins in and out. i will also add she went threw a babysitting corse ( what to do, cpr ) and im not shopping its to just grab 1 or 2 things. she plays with him. so whats your input? what age? thoughts...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think once they can use a phone and have one then its cool to run in and out. But that dad was dead as wrong and I think he knew what he was doing!!! Doesn't matter now can he can never be alone with an infant again unless he gets parenting classes. JUST AN OPPINION!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I leave my daughter in the car if I am pumping gas or if I can pull up to the movie drop off which is a rare in the first place as I am right there. I take the keys with me, crack the window and lock the doors so I know she is a little safer. If I can not be within 5 feet of the car then she goes with me. I will leave her in the car at my house but my neighbor will watch her if I need her. I would never leave her in the car to shop or watch a movie as anything could happen to her. If I can't be within eye and ear shot then its a no go and I get her out of the car. Then again I live on a Military Post and thats a whole new situation in itself as my husbands job and rank are at risk as well. If I can't pay at the pump then I go to a new gas station and if I can't pull up to the drop off box or be within 5 feet of the car then I either wait or take her with me.
    Anonymous

• IMO, can she drive the car? Would she know what to do if someone had a gun and pointed it at her through the window? I don't think I would and I'm 36. I just go with my gut and my gut say's to take them in no matter what. Bad things can happen in a heartbeat . That's just my thoughts on it...
    As for the age, maybe 16, at least then they can sit in the drivers seat and if they see anything wrong they can drive the car away. I don't know, that's a good question..
    I have a 12, almost 13 yr old and I won't let him stay in the car alone, or with his brothers, ever.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:31 AM on May. 1, 2009

• mrsLeftlane u make a good point. i will also say the car in in veiw when i run in and i have the keys and doors are locked. but good point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I guess some would say Im a paranoid Mom,lol I am alone with our kids a lot so I guess I have had to have my guard up a lot.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:37 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I have older kids to stay with my younger kids, so its not an issue for me anymore. What...did he forget he had the baby in the car? or is he just stupid? The only time I don't get him out is when I go to the atm. I park in front of the bank, lock the door, and I am literally about 20ft away and then come back. Hes in my sight the whole time and I live in a very small, safe community. If I have to go in, then he goes with me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on May. 1, 2009

• That Dad is an idiot and should have his child taken away. You don't leave your baby in the car.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• He left his newborn in the car to go watch a movie? Wow, how awful. I bet the baby was scared and hungry. I agree, the baby is not safe in his "care" and should be taken away.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:00 AM on May. 1, 2009

• That father was an idiot. Leaving you younger child with a 13 year old is way different. 13 year olds can babysit. What you are doing is safe, what that idiot did was unsafe and he deserves jail time and never seeing his child again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 AM on May. 1, 2009

• A friend of mine didn't want to wake her kid. She pulled up, and then went right inside the door to pay for her gas. She left her kid and purse in the vehicle because she was only going to be right inside the door and pay for gas.

She came out (a minute later she claims) and found her windshield busted, purse gone and kid in the back seat screaming bloody murder and dealt with nightmares for weeks.

Was it worth the convenience of "running in for a minute"?
    Anonymous