If you saw your child or a child you babysit touching themselves....What is your reaction?

Do you try to distact them or do you let them continue, I think I would distract them I mean I would they don't need to be doing that just anywhere yes it feels good but I think as they grow older they can find out for themselves in private.

Do you agree, ladies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would think that its normal b/c they r just expolring themselves to see what they have. you know sometimes this action accurs in the night while they sleep, you go in the rooms to check on the kids and see one of the kids with there hands in there private area
    BABICAKES904

Answer by BABICAKES904 at 10:32 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I typically make a laugh and say "Hey! That's not a toy! Get your hands out of your pants!" (making a joke of the situation) Then, after they've washed their hands, I give them something constructive to do with their hands.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 10:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• We tell them that you do not do that when other people are in the room
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:02 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I tell my children that they do that in private.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:18 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I told them that is not something we do, and if I caught them again, I swatted their hands. Never had a problem in this area.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 3:45 PM on May. 1, 2009

• It depends on the age and sex and how they are doing it. If they are just gen. feeling/playing then.....If they are younger I distract them. If they are older I remind them that is something they do in private. If they are girls I also talk at length about washing our hands b/f and after we do that, if they are boys I mention it, have them wash their hands but aren't as insistant.
    If they are older and/or really doing the whole movements then I'd be more on alert. AND would have them go wash their hands to come do ___ with me. And maybe mention (after hands washed etc) that is something we do in private and if its my own child have a talk about it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:22 PM on May. 1, 2009

• why would you want to swat their hands for? that is kinda sending the wrong message to them. why are some parents so quick to "pop" or "swat" a kid? let's try TALKING to our kids. i'm not going to lie, yeah i spank my kid sometimes but not without talking to them. and as for the question....REDIRECTION....let them know that it is a natrual thing, but in PRIVATE and WASH WASH YOUR HANDS....
    msangie2003

Answer by msangie2003 at 12:39 AM on May. 2, 2009

• You hit your child for learning about their body? They're going to have issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 2, 2009

• We were always taught that it was fine and healthy to explore, but it's something private. I'm trying to teach my stepson the same thing, and that's what I will teach my daughter when she is older. I refuse to make my kids feel bad for something that is natural and healthy and good.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:23 PM on May. 2, 2009