Budget

Does anyone have a good way to work a budget (or anyway, since we don't have one). And to motive your spouse to go along? We have been married 19 years, have three kids (15,14, and 10)...and we still have more month at the end of the money. Whether I stayed home with the kids and we made do on one salary, or now that I work full-time. I want to be less resentful when he spends money on things I think are extras, but I am sure he feels this way as well. Anyone have some good ideas?

KCNKC

Asked by KCNKC at 10:14 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you ment to say...more money at the end of the month...LOL but this is hard. I have the same problem. I just try to really monitor our spending. But it doesnt work good! If you get a good solution message me and let me know! Good Luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:19 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I say when you cook make casseroles make one and freeze the other.Only buy the necesities like shampoo and when you see things you need on sale stock up.I shop at big lots for my necesties and walmart it is the best when it comes to prices.Plan a menu like monday spagetti pie,tuesday lasagna,wednesday stroganoof,etc and print it out and hang it on the refrigator.Have a in case of emergency fund.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 1, 2009

• We budget weekly instead of monthly because that is when DH gets paid. We know that the first weeks check pays the house bills, the second pays the motorcycle payment and my cell phone, the third and forth go into the house payment. I watch kids here at the house and we typically use that money for gas and food.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 10:35 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Try picking a monthly idem to splurge on, rather than things here and there. Ex. He wants to get a few toys for his car, and you want to get your nails done.

At the end of the month when the bills are paid... go over what's left. If you both have enough for those things AND something for the kids.. go for it. If not, have him settle for one small toy for his car, you settle for do it yourself nails, and take the kids out for putt putt and ice cream.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Look into Crown Ministry online, and also Dave Ramsey. Personally, I read Larry Burketts book many years ago. My husband was the money manager (a complete controller of all monies) but I knew we couldn't continue to live in severe debt. I read the book and learned how to budget and asked him if he would go along with it, if I could prove he would actually have more money to spend as he liked. He agreed.

The budget was wonderful. It took me a few days to create it using the forms in the book, but it became my hobby. It really helped build the bridge of conversation and money spending in our home.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:44 AM on May. 1, 2009

• We don't use a budget. We just save aound $200 a week and use the rest for bills, food, whatever we want.
    mirandar2001

Answer by mirandar2001 at 11:15 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Try reading Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:35 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Put at least ten dollars a week in a savings account.
    Make a weekly budget and stick to it.
    Before you go to the grocery store, make your meal plan, including snacks, for the next week. Only put the items that you need on the list. Only buy what is on the list.
    Drink water. No one needs soda, juice or milk.
    Instead of meat, eat beans and lentils.
    Instead of canned beans and lentils, cook dried.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Our system: We each get paid weekly, and each check is directly deposited into our own personal checking accounts. Then 90% of my check and 90% of his gets transferred into joint checking for household expenses. We are each left with 10% per week to spend or save how we wish, like an allowance. At the end of the month we transfer all leftover money from joint checking into joint savings to start the month fresh. For us it is easier to not spend "household" money on frivolous things when we know the number is only high enough to cover actual expenses.

It works well for us because we are contributing the same amount so we're equals, but we each have "our own" money to spend on stuff the other wouldn't approve of. He makes a lot more than I do, so sometimes he feels like he still contributes more, but then I remind him that his weekly 10% is also much larger than mine, and I'm the one doing the unpaid housework...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:11 PM on May. 1, 2009

• First figure out what your income is. Then figure out what all your expenses are. Then figure out what you need to save for. You know things that only come up once a year, retirement things like that. Then budget out that you get "x" amount of money to spend on whatever, and your spouse gets "x" amount of money to spend on whatever he wants to.

If you can show him that a budget will allow him to have his own money to spend on whatever he wants, he will probably be more interested in a budget.

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:33 PM on May. 1, 2009