When are our Utility bills expected to go up?

I've been hearing that recent legislation is expected to increase people's electric bills by an average of $200 per month.

Does anyone know when this will happen? Will it happen all at once? Or be sneakily implemented over the course of a few years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Cap and trade is trying to make it's way to signage, but it might not get there. Even some of our blue dog dems are seeing this as bad for the people. Thank goodness. Maybe because they have to pay their bills too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I am hopeful this will not pass. My family can afford it but many lower income people who would not qualify for help with utilities may not. Like the cigarette tax this is another way to raise taxes on everyone. I really feel for all if this is passed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 1, 2009

• So I guess now would be a good time to e-mail my congressmen, and tell them how I feel about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Depends if Obama's cap-and-trade makes it through DC officials. Looking like it may not. YAY! I think they are willing to sacrifice cap and trade to get Obama's healthcare agenda passed. Both are sickening, in my opinion
    myame

Answer by myame at 11:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Good to hear it might not make it throgh.Garuntee this though we will pay no doubt about it one way or another.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:39 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Some people think they can afford it, anon 10:01, but when hyperinflation hits we will all suffer.
    Anonymous

• I just received a letter from my electric co-op that says if legislation is passed, our electric bill will go up by "$700-$2200 annually". That would be a minimum of $58 a month, which would be substantial, since my electric bills seldom go over $100 a month.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:29 PM on May. 1, 2009

• mancosmomma that is nuts.My bill is already high and has been no matter what I do lol.Plus we have been paying for that TVA mess up here in TN.So each month my bill was 100 bucks more for 4 months.I kid you not and now it is down to 50 a month more this past month.Anyway,we will pay one way or the other and it sucks.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• tnmomofive, I know! I've already cut everything I can. We live in a passive solar house, have compact fluorescents, Energy Star appliances, and I hang my laundry and use power strips to cut power to anything we aren't using. I feel flogged.  How the heck am I going to squeeze another $58+ every month?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:52 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I have heard/read in three different places that the average household will incur an additional $5000.00 a yr in expenses. It won't be just the utility bills. This will affect manufacturer's too. When their costs go up so does the price of their product. Everything from food to clothing to electronics will go up.

Our electric bill is already increasing 10% this summer.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:43 PM on May. 1, 2009