At what age do I start feeding ma daughter cereal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think you should start feeding her cereal when the formula / breast milk dose not fill her up meaning she drinks 8oz of formula and still not sastified, or drinking 1 or 2 hours of breast milk and still not full
    BABICAKES904

Answer by BABICAKES904 at 10:35 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I think the recomened is about 4-6 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• IMO no sooner then 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:39 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I started feeding my son cereal at 3 months. He eats a lot and was drinking A LOT of formula, to the point where he was spitting up quite a bit. So I started giving him cereal to make him feel full longer. I started giving it to him by spoon, but that was a disaster, so I put it in the bottle. You're not supposed to, but I made it thin enough to still drink it out of the bottle AND I changed nipples so it had a larger opening. He's 11 months now and doesn't get cereal anymore. Good luck!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:49 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Check with your pediatrician.

The usual recommendation is between 4 and 6 months to start.

If a baby is not ready for cereal and is taking more than 8oz of formula per feeding, then give more formula per feeding. Mine took 10oz for awhile until we started table foods. (that was every 2 hours by the way)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:54 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I started my son out at like 2 1/2 months old. He loves food. and he is still only eating almost 6ozs of formula. The doctors will tell you no but you know your baby more than they do!
    mommy2be6

Answer by mommy2be6 at 12:05 PM on May. 1, 2009

• The AAP and WHO say breastmilk is best for ATLEAST 6 months and that breastmilk is all they NEED for the first 12 months. Food before about 12 months old is only to practice the motions not for anything things else. If youa re giving formula it is a little different on the 12 month thing, but I don't know the specifics. If your child has lot the tongue thrust reflex and are 6 months or older the go ahead and nurse then give them some pureed food. My kids never liked the purees and at about 8-9 months starting eating what we were having cut up in really little pieces.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:38 PM on May. 1, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:13 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i dont believe there is really a recommended age to feed ur child cereal.......i started giving my daughter cereal at two months....but because she was so young i started giving it to her in her bottle.....if you use formula just use as many scoops of cereal as you do formula
    indianhuntress

Answer by indianhuntress at 2:26 PM on May. 1, 2009