what do i do when my daughter reaptedly tells me "no" and slaps me?..i have tired everything!

mommiebuck97

Asked by mommiebuck97 at 10:29 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• time outs
    CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 10:30 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I would try the time out thing, and when she hits you, dont hit her back because that shows that its kind of a game. Now i do spank, but when my daughter hits me, i grab her hand and say "you dont hit mommy" she tries to do it again, and i again do the same thing, normally by the second time she is done and knows not to hit me for a while. She doesnt normally do it a lot, but every now and then when she gets really mad she does it. and with the no thing, try to use different words than NO to correct her. I know its hard! I am trying to do the same thing so i dont get my daughter in the habit of saying no, because i feel like thats all i say some days! LOL good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:34 AM on May. 1, 2009

• my son is the same way he's 13 months. I stay persistent and do time outs. He laughs so hard when I tell him no. So far its not working but someday it will i hope! :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:36 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I've started to tell my son "excuse me" when he does something he knows he's not supposed to. It gets a better reaction than "no" does. Voice inflexion words wonders.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:38 AM on May. 1, 2009

• we have a slapper and head butter he is only 1 years old and wouldnt get time outs my husband and I say no and put him down immediatley when he does this. That makes him mad but when we pick him up he dosent do it again for awhile.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:03 AM on May. 1, 2009

• slap her back. not too hard obviously, but hard enough to show her that it hurts when you hit someone, and she'll think twice next time.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 11:25 AM on May. 1, 2009

• How old is your child? This is a normal phase for toddlers, who have just learned that no is a magic word. For slapping, I always held their hand and said not to slap Mama: I didn't get slapped too often, and the girls haven't been slapped at all. They do slap one another - they're twins, and two. Often they'll slap and then say "not okay" and cry along with their sister.

I also put them down immediately after they've hurt me.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 11:43 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Time out.
    You say NO HITTING in a firm voice and plop her in time out.
    You leave her there through any tantrum she throws.
    Once the tantrum is over, you set a timer - 1 minute per year of age and 1/2 minutes are allowed... 18 months gets 1.5 minutes.
    You ignore her during the entire time she is in timeout. Do not try to talk her out of the tantrum. Do not try to explain why she is there. No TV, no fun music, no toys, no interaction from you - not even eye contact. Stay in the room though, just pretend to read a book or something.

If she won't stay put, you can either use an empty play pen or just keep plopping her back in her spot, resetting the timer each time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I cant believe someone would suggest slapping their child back how incredibly sad :(
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:31 PM on May. 1, 2009

• i know right.. teachimg them not to hit by hitting them? that will never work..that will j ust let them know to hit ppl when u are mad..double standard. you dont punish a child who is hitting you by hitting them back..
    Mom2JoshAmelia

Answer by Mom2JoshAmelia at 11:50 AM on May. 3, 2009