What kind of gifter are you?

I usually give $20 for Birthday gifts to kids parties or I buy a nice $20 gift. Nieces and nephews get more. But, I need to start giving what these people give to my kids! Most of the time my kids get...sorry to say, crap toys from Dollar stores or $10. I'm sick of spending so much money on other peoples kids gifts when they don't do the same for my kids!
Does the saying " Do unto others as you would have them do to you". Luke 6:31 apply for this?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:51 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you feel like you are always giving and not getting back, just give them a $10 gift card to a store they like. I had to start doing that too. I always bought really nice things, and didnt get crap in return. some people just dont put as much thought into it as we do. It's sad.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:42 PM on May. 1, 2009

• We usually give gifts in the $10 - $20 range ($10 if one of my children is invited, $20 if two children are invited). If you are consistently giving gifts that cost twice as much as anyone else, then you are probably overdoing it by the standards of your social group. You should give what you consider appropriate and what you can afford, but you should really not expect others to have your same standards. It's about giving, not receiving. I think "Do unto other..." is more about treating people with respect and not doing bad things to them, not "I give you good gifts, so you should give me good gifts".
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:11 AM on May. 1, 2009

• What give what we can afford. We always try to find a gift that would please the receiver - perhaps something to match their personality, an addition to their collection, something sentimental, or something original. Matching the occasion and the age is important, too.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:56 AM on May. 1, 2009