Why do I have to be the bad guy?

Whenever my niece comes over to our house to play (she is 5 1/2) with my 3 and 2 year old, I feel like such the bad guy!! She does things that break the rules in my house and when I tell her to stop she just ignores me. Like today she was teaching my kids to jump down 5 stairs to the hard floor below, or she is jumping on my furniture. Then she yells at my kids like she is their mother and will not share the toys at our house but yet my kids are expected to share them with her. I do not know what to do anymore, I hate being the bad guy all the time but I can't let these things go. She has started to dislike me and I do not want a bad relationship.

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 10:53 AM on May. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• You're not the "bad Aunt", you're the smart Aunt! I would stay firm on the rules in my house, she will eventually know what she can and can't do. It's called respect for other people and their things. My nephew was like this at that age, he's 13 now. I was always the one to tell him "No". But, at the same time, he was learning from me. He loves me and really looks up to me now. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:58 AM on May. 1, 2009

• F that be the bad guy rules are rules and she is not an exeption just because she is a guest.Tell her mother and ask permision to allow proper punishment tell her mom you have rules and she is braking them either she repremands her or you will .Moms dont get offended once you explain whats going on and by repremanding i mean like time out and stuff like its not a repremendation out of this world schools does it with or without your permision .It will be fine but if you dont put your foot down you will be bullied by that little girl and you kids will see this as a weak point and thats something you dont want those kids to start testing the waters like the saying goes
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:00 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Children really do feel more secure in a stable situation. When a child feels like they are in charge, this makes them insecure. I would def. lay the rules down with her and if she is so active that you cannot predict her behavior (like what she's going to think of next), then I would let her know that you will not ask her to come visit in your home again without her own mom. She's old enough to follow rules and old enough to know respect.

Of course, if her own parents don't set boundaries for behavior, you might be in a losing battle. I had family and friend's children I simply didn't invite back to our home. They were too much trouble and caused me stress. I prefer a more relaxed happy home and don't enjoy children coming in to be the parent.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:05 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Your house your rules. If she can"t behave she can"t come over.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 AM on May. 1, 2009