Tips for giving infant medicine?

My son has to take Zantac prior to eating - 30 mins prior is what is directed. We used to put it in a nipple, and he would suck it out, but now at 7 months he's on to our plan :-). When I give it to him with the syringe (sp?), he spits it out. It is now a battle to even get the syringe in his mouth! He takes 1 ml. Any suggestions?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 11:04 AM on May. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Squirt it towards the inner cheek, it's harder to spit out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:17 AM on May. 1, 2009

• They have a paci that they make for medicine dispension. They sell it at walmart. You could try that.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:07 AM on May. 1, 2009

• Ok, my other idea, sounds cruel, but it works. Plug his nose when ur gonna give it to him and squirt, out of reflex he will swallow, but he's gonna get mad at you! LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:08 AM on May. 1, 2009

• I STILL HAVENT FOUND A SOLUTION MY SON IS ON HERAT MEDS AND WATER MEDS FOR HEART FAULIER HE HAS TO TAKE IT EVER 12HRS AND I CANT GET IM TO TAKE IT IF I PUT IR IN A SYRINGE HE SPITS IT OUT I TRY TO PUT IT IN HIS CHEEK HE STILL DOES THE SAME THING I HAD TO START PUTING IT IM A SMALL AMOUT OF WATER TO GET HIM TO TAKE IT
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:04 PM on May. 1, 2009

• My toddler is on allergy meds but they are chewable so we crush the pill up and mix it in applesauce. But since he has to take the meds before eating I don't know how well it would work for your situation.

You can always make it into a game! My son will let me do anything umpleasant if it feels like a game. Make up a silly song and faces then squirt it in his mouth when he's laughing at you but continue the song like nothing happened. Never underestimate the power of distraction!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:23 PM on May. 1, 2009

• I laid my son on teh floor and sort of restrained him with my legs (so his face was up but he was on his back) and then squirt it way in the back towards his inner cheek, like someone else mentioned he will get mad! The other thing we did when he had RSV and had to take like 4 different medicines was we mixed in with an ounce or two of pedialyte or apple or pear juice. If that sweet juice is not something he gets very often he will take it like a champ and think he is getting a treat, only you and dad know the truth
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:36 PM on May. 1, 2009

• wow only 1ml? My daughter is on Zantac and get's 2ml 2x / day before morning feeding and before bedtime feeding...okay...anyhow she hated taking it in the dropper but she got used to it and is now doing great w/it and not spitting it out anymore after 3 weeks of giving it to her. her pediatrician said you can mix it in a bottle as well so have you tried that? If not I would give it a try and see how he does. Good luck!
    Diamondgurl08

Answer by Diamondgurl08 at 1:35 PM on May. 1, 2009

• OP here... I can't mix it with applesauce/juice - he is allergic to apples ( as well as sweet potatoes, yeah, weird and is also lactose & soy intolerant). He gets 1 ml 3x/day based on his weight, so I'd rather not make him totally mad 3x a day -- but I'm going to make the effort to squirt it near his cheek!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2009